Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Saltwater Pool for Emergency Water Source

1. Back To Top    #1

Saltwater Pool for Emergency Water Source

I was asked by a "survival" buddy of mine, with a chlorine pool, if a SWG based pool could be used as a temporary source for consumable water. The salinity is materially less than traditional seawater, but would you have to desalinate to consume? At what salt level could you consume it? Never really thought of it before, SR

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Saltwater Pool for Emergency Water Source

there is another topic on this somwhere on the forum. I remember becasue I found it quite comical Let me see if I can find it and post it!!!!!!!

here it is http://www.troublefreepool.com/using...cy-t39087.html
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I read some of those, but the question revolved specifically about the salt content in the water. Is 3200ppm concentration so high that it will cause kidney problems and dehydration like traditional saltwater (35000ppm). Or will you have to desalinate the water...

4. Back To Top    #4

16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Salt at 3000ish is a sort of good bad story. It won't be a problem right away, but long term that is too much salt. If you are dying of thirst, pool water is definitely better than nothing (not true of ocean water). But if you have other choices for water, chances are they are better than pool water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

What about a pool that is treated with nothing but the BBB method? Again I would think a few gallons over a few days would not hurt you.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 633 2500 GPH "B" Cartridge