Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking at a used pool robot vac. -Opinions Welcome

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking at a used pool robot vac. -Opinions Welcome

Here is the ad:

Aquabot robotic pool cleaner. Works fantastic! Just drop it in and this vacuum does all the scrubbing and picking up of everything. Used four seasons, bought new for $1000.00. Moving and no longer need this.

Local cash sale only. $300.00

Anyone know anything about these?
    Do they last?
    Any parts I should replace right away?
    Good buy?

Etc. Etc.

Thanks!
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking at a used pool robot vac. -Opinions Welcome

Sounds like a fair price. I had one given to me and used it only twice. It would spin its tires (tracks) tring to climb my walls and I was worried that the hard plastic rims that the tracks ran on might damage my liner if it spun in one place for any amount of time, so I quit using it. The freind that gave it to me had a 90,000 gallon zero entry gunite pool and said it was fantastic.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Good buy?
    Maybe, maybe not. What model is it....there is a difference in the cleaning capacity. Robots seem to last maybe 4-8 years (mine is 4 now) and they do get some wear and tear.

Without knowing more, it's impossible to say but I would hazard a guess that it is an OK deal if it's one of the more robust (powerful) models and a stinky deal if it's one of the entry level robots.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Got some more info:

Aquabot Turbo
    Model 800028
    Serial # 0522985
    18' X 36' Inground Pool 26,000 gallons. SuperMax 27mil/27mil Vinyl Liner-Installed Fall 2011
    Pentair Intellipro Programable Pump (Model 011018) // Pentair S8M 500 Cartridge Filter // Circupool RJ45 Salt Chlorinator
    2 Hayward Skimmers // 3 Returns // 2 Savi Melody Pool lights // TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30
    Got some more info:

Aquabot Turbo
    Model 800028
    Serial # 0522985
    Its a decent deal if its in very good shape. If a motor needs to be replaced it is going to cost you $300 - $400 to get it going.

Some pool stores sell refurb pool cleaners with 1 year warranties. This might be a better way to go. Itll cost you a few more bucks but might save you a headache.

I bought my robot new about 4 years ago. I already had to replace both motors at different times, cost me close to $800.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

I wouldn't even look in the direction of a 4 year old robotic cleaner.

These are sold for about $835 right now brand new. The motors last about 3-5 years on these cleaners and will set you back 300-400. Why spend several hundred on one that is going to cost you that in repairs in the next year or so. Also Aquabots are notorious for being the most expensive to repair.

I would suggest if your looking for a smaller price tag to look for the some of the lower end priced robotics (ie SmartPool). You can find these in the 500-600 range and will be brand new with a warranty.
    Chris - In the Industry