No suction in vacuum line upon startup this season

shacke

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm having a vacuum issue all of a sudden this year and I am not sure why - perhaps because I don't know how the system actually works. The vacuum line is in the pool wall with a dedicated port/line. Each year the folks who open my pool warn me to close it saying it's dangerous, system no longer made, now deemed hazardous, etc. I know they are concerned/covering their hide (they installed it in 1990) and all they typically do is remove the valve handle on opening. I of course put it back on.

This year they didn't even put water into the line on opening. When I first ran it is blew tons of air into the pool.

Well they swear they didn't disable it (even though THIS year they tagged it 'do not operate' and want to replumb my p$$l of course to permanently kill it off) but now when I try to use it there is no suction at the port (and thats the usual hazard!) so it's not an air in the hose issue. I cant pick up a thing with it.

Does anyone have a clue? The company wants nothing to do with this 'hazardous' system anymore. I'm naturally suspicious they messed with it even though it is nowhere in their right to do that. They said they didn't.

Thanks for any assistance on what might be going on.

Can you post a pic of the equip pad and the place where the line comes into the pool? That would help a lot.

If I'm reading it correctly, you sucked air in from the line and it blew into the pool. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Here is my setup.

[attachment=1:wa78fkeb]photo (7).JPG[/attachment:wa78fkeb]

The vacuum port is in the side wall. It's right under the white port cover on the pool deck. Sorry for the rotated iphone pic. NB - The air I got in the beginning from using it the first time blew out the returns. No more air now but no suction either.

[attachment=0:wa78fkeb]photo (8).JPG[/attachment:wa78fkeb]

The lines at the pump from top to bottom. Main drain, vacuum (with warning tag), skimmer, return, turbo cleaner below pic (bypass valve to left to control flow to turbo).

Here is the pump when the vacuum is turned on. The water level always runs down but I typically get suction - I get absolutely none now

[youtube:wa78fkeb]U4-YEXnJzXg[/youtube:wa78fkeb]

Here is the pump with the vacuum valve off - for completeness. The water runs back in.

[youtube:wa78fkeb]fDej-D1jdyg[/youtube:wa78fkeb]

If something isn't clear let me know I can try to repeat, change angle, etc. One thing I can say is that I have had trouble with air getting into the pump cover and I have to lube up the orings pretty well. Im not having air issues with the regular pump running. I don't know if air is getting into the cover anyway now with the suction on. I dont hear anything but I am throwing it out there.

Thank you! :-D

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 43
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 39
I won't be able to view the videos until later but it appears you have either a suction leak or blockage on that line. Is there a winterizing plug on that line in the pool?

What happens if you take a water hose stuck in the inlet of the pump basket sealed off with a rag or something and try to run water back through the vacuum line with it's valve opened and the other 2 closed?
Does water flow freely out the pipe?
Are there any leaks that your see?

Bama Rambler said:
I won't be able to view the videos until later but it appears you have either a suction leak or blockage on that line. Is there a winterizing plug on that line in the pool?

What happens if you take a water hose stuck in the inlet of the pump basket sealed off with a rag or something and try to run water back through the vacuum line with it's valve opened and the other 2 closed?
Does water flow freely out the pipe?
Are there any leaks that your see?

As far as I know the only plug is that white plug on the port that I removed.

I will try the hose test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.