Calculate savings of changing pump motor (1 to 2 Speed)

May 23, 2007
Michigan
I have been looking at a lot of posts trying to understand how to quantify the electric savings of replacing my one speed motor with a two speed motor. (Retain Existing Pump) Below should be all the data required to calculate the savings but I just don't have the understanding of my electrical costs to figure it out. I'm sure it's a quick calculation for someone who understands all this stuff so any input would be helpful related to the savings or my plan to change the motor.

Pool is in Michigan so it's closed in the winter months
I have a electric Cover
Pool Installed in 2004 (20x40 Hopper pool with spill over spa)
Hayward SPX2610X15 (1.5 HP Single Speed Pump) 56J Frame (Replaced Motor in 2007 and again in 2009)
Jandy Aqualink System with Aquapure
I run the pump about 9 Hours a day

Detail of my last bill that was $119.77

Current Charges
Power Supply Charges:
Power Supply Energy 493 KWH @ 0.06912 34.08
262 KWH @ 0.08257 21.63
Renewable Energy Plan Surchg 3.00
Other Power Supply Surcharges* 5.66
Delivery Charges:
Service Charge 6.00
Distribution 755 KWH @ 0.05003 37.77
Energy Optimization 755 KWH @ 0.002664 2.01
Other Delivery Surcharges** 5.01
Residential Michigan Sales Tax 4.61
Total Detroit Edison Current Charges 119.77
Service Period Mar 15, 2012 - Apr 13, 2012
Days Billed 29
Meter Number 5447257 09
Meter Reading 17363 Actual - 18118 Actual
KWH Used 755
or around MAY 14, 2012

Questions I am trying to answer:

1. What two speed motor should I replace with ? Do they make energy efficient and non-energy efficiant two speed motors like the single speed motors? Any specific recommendations ?

2. If I change to a two speed motor how much would my monthly electric bill go down ?

3. I have extra relays in my Aqualink so can I wire the two speed motor to it and use the remote to automatically change speeds when I enter functions like "Spa Mode" ?

Your pump draws something around 1300 watts, times 9 hours a day is a little over 350 kWh/month. You are paying about $0.16/kWh, so spending perhaps $56 per month on the pump, in the months that the pool is open.

1) Yes, they make both energy efficient and not two speeds. Energy efficient versions have about a 10% savings in electricity.
2) Switching to a two speed pump will save your right around 50% of your pump costs, so about $28/month that the pool is open.
3) Yes.

I just went through the same upgrade of a Hayward Superpump 1.5 HP single speed motor (SPX2610X15) to a 2 speed motor. I sent you a PM on this as well.

I went with an AO Smith 2 speed motor and a new seal kit. I only had a standard time clock control so I also upgraded my controls to an Intermatic P1353ME. This will handle the motor on/off as well as the hi/lo speed control. AO Smith was the manufacturer of the motor that came on my Hayward Superpump. I'm sure yours is the same.

I hope this helps!

JP

I just replaced the 8-year old single-speed on my Pentair WFE-26 1.5hp uprated WhisperFlo with an A.O. Smith high efficiency 2-speed from http://www.ezpoolz.com/categories/Pumps-and-Motors/Pool-Motors/. They had the lowest price I could find on the web for that motor and I got exactly what I wanted shipped the next day. It's now in and working perfectly. I just went with a manual switch from Granger for $5 to control the speed. I'll leave it on low except for vacuuming and backwash.

I really think the A.O. Smith high-efficiency 2-speed Centurion is the best bang for the buck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.