Just Opened - Test Results

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I just received my TF100 kit today and used it right away. Here are my results.

TC - 0
PH - 7.8
TA - 210
CYA - I used the entire drop bottle in the sight glass and still saw the black dot fine so I would say 0

I still need to get it scrubbed up better. When I removed the cover there was some algae on the fiberglass steps. Water is fairly clear.

Pool was built last summer and this is my first year opening it. What should I do first?

Should I raise CYA before shocking? I need to get my SWG going too but figured I need to shock first.

Any other advice would be great.

I suggest starting by lowering PH to 7.2. That will also start lowering TA, which is rather high.

Then you want to start shocking and start adding CYA at more or less the same time. Shocking without CYA isn't very effective And CYA can sometimes break down if you add it without adding any chlorine.

The pool calculator said I would need 234 ounces by weight of CYA. That seems like a ton to me since that is over 14 lbs. Does that sound right? Is it possible to have a CYA of 0. I know I never added any last year. I just want to make sure I'm not messing something up because I know the only way to lower CYA is to drain water and I don't want to get to that. Thanks.

I suggest you add only about 30ppm CYA and start shocking at the same time.

Adding all needed CYA at this time only costs more $ for the shock process as a higher CYA level has a higher shock level, which requires more chlorine ($).

When you are done shocking (see red lines in my sig) you can then raise the CYA to about 70ish for the SWG. Don't use the SWG for the shock process, use liquid chlorine/bleach.

And yes, about 234oz of CYA will add about 63ppm CYA to a 28K gallon pool.

Are you familiar with the "How to Shock Your Pool" article in Pool School?

Post back with any questions. Someone will be around to help :)

I have read the shock process but I'm still trying to figure out how much bleach to use. So how much bleach should I start out with? I am having trouble figuring that out after using the calculator. Since my CYA is currently 0 even though I will target 30 at first should I base my initial chlorine dose on CYA 30 or 0? Don't want to mess anything up.

With zero CYA, shock level is about 10.

After the CYA is dissolved from the sock, assume it is in the pool and adjust the shock level accordingly.

CYA can take up to a week before it shows up on a test, so don't waste your reagents. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question on Shocking and SWG

Ok. Here are the readings from today. I have a couple of questions too.

1. My SWG is currently on. Should I turn it off in order to get my FC back down to target level?
2. I did the overnight test and lost 0 FC and there are still no CC. Does this mean I'm done with shocking?
3. How do I lower my TA. I added acid to get my PH in line now what for TA?
4. Should I increase calcium a little bit?

FC - 15
PH - 7.2
TA - 180
CH - 190
CYA - Added 8 lbs yesterday
CC - 0

1) You can if you want, but it is simpler to just leave things alone.
2) Yes.
3) See the article on lowering TA in Pool School.
4) There is no point as you have a vinyl liner pool, which doesn't need added calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.