Talked to pool builder today!

May 5, 2012
Oconee, Georgia
He gave me an estimate on a pentair easytouch with ic-40 salt cell pentair variable speed pump and sand filter Polaris 280 with booster pump for 4000.00 I can buy it on eBay or amazon for 1000.00 less is it worth the extra 1000.00 to have them set it up for me or should I try to do it myself?

The total pool price

18x37 rectangle
8' polymer Steps
Polaris 280
Easytouch with ic-40 integration
Pentair variable speed pump
Color light
4' mortex kool decking on one side 15' on the other side 10' on each end
Diving board
8' sun ledge swim out on one side
3'x6 equipment pad

Does this sound reasonable could get the equipment for 1000.00 less on eBay but wouldn't have any warranty like that. They will give me 3 year warrant on pump & filter
20 years on liner (5 full 15 prorated) 3 years on Polaris and pump. Concrete and polymer wall system lifetime warranty.

Does this sound reasonable?

I bought the ET w/ IC40, VS pump, and Clean&Clear Plus filter online for $2600, shipping included. My pool is going in now. I did the wiring. I can make a lot of phone calls for setup to Pentair and emails for help to this forum if it will save me that much money... If you aren't up to doing 220 wiring, hard conduit, etc, then I'd pay the money.

I talked with Pentair before I made the purchase and was told it didn't matter who installed the components as long as they were installed correctly. One of the main reasons I chose alll Pentair was you get an extended 3 year warranty when you buy at one time. After purchase I went to the Pentair website and registered same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason, well said. I'm just too hard headed sometimes. DIY can often backfire and I can attest to that first hand. But, when it goes right, to me, it's worth the extra trouble. It pains me to pay for something like this where someone profits just from doing the ordering.

Gunnert, agreed, when I DIY and save loads of money I get a real good feeling. At one time I had a problem recognizing my limits and on top of that I am a perfectionist. Being a perfectionist is why I tend to DIY because no one can do things to my satisfaction.

I usually do EVERYTHING myself, however I bought a Rinnai tankless water heater 5 years ago it was 1000 the guy wanted 1000 to install so I did it myself. This past winter it gave me an error message so I called Rinnai and they said it wasn't under warranty because a licensed Rinnai dealer didn't install it and it was an install issue. It worked fine for 5 years however. After arguing with the woman on the phone for an hr she gave me the number to the district manager took two weeks to get my water heater fixed that had a ten year warranty on it. O yea before I ever installed it I called Rinnai and the assured me it would still be under warranty it I installed it myself. That is why I am scared to do it myself on a big ticket item!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.