Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Talked to pool builder today!

1. Back To Top    #1

Talked to pool builder today!

He gave me an estimate on a pentair easytouch with ic-40 salt cell pentair variable speed pump and sand filter Polaris 280 with booster pump for 4000.00 I can buy it on eBay or amazon for 1000.00 less is it worth the extra 1000.00 to have them set it up for me or should I try to do it myself?

The total pool price

18x37 rectangle
    8' polymer Steps
    Polaris 280
    Easytouch with ic-40 integration
    Pentair variable speed pump
    Color light
    4' mortex kool decking on one side 15' on the other side 10' on each end
    Diving board
    8' sun ledge swim out on one side
    3'x6 equipment pad

Does this sound reasonable could get the equipment for 1000.00 less on eBay but wouldn't have any warranty like that. They will give me 3 year warrant on pump & filter
    20 years on liner (5 full 15 prorated) 3 years on Polaris and pump. Concrete and polymer wall system lifetime warranty.

Does this sound reasonable?
    18'x36' inground vinyl liner.Pentair Sand Filter SD-60, Pentair EastTouch IC40 Salt Gen.
    Pentair Legend Cleaner. Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp pump. Color LED pool light.
    Taylor K-2006 (FAS-DPD) w/ SpeedStir. Pool Built October 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

O yea 1.5" schd. 40 PVC
    2 returns
    Wide mouth skimmer
    Anti-vortex main drains-2
    Cantilever coping
    Safety rope
    Start up chemicals is also included in that price
    18'x36' inground vinyl liner.Pentair Sand Filter SD-60, Pentair EastTouch IC40 Salt Gen.

3. Back To Top    #3

Any one have any suggestions of any other equipment I need or need to modify? I want to get a flow meter

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Talked to pool builder today!

I bought the ET w/ IC40, VS pump, and Clean&Clear Plus filter online for $2600, shipping included. My pool is going in now. I did the wiring. I can make a lot of phone calls for setup to Pentair and emails for help to this forum if it will save me that much money... If you aren't up to doing 220 wiring, hard conduit, etc, then I'd pay the money.
    N Virginia
    -Leisure Moroccan 38' Fiberglass
    -19,800 Gallons
    -Pentair EasyTouch 4 w/IC40 Chlorinator,VS3050 Pump, Clean&Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter,Prowler 720 Robot Cleaner
    -1 Skimmer/ 3 Returns/2 Drains/2" Piping
    -3 Fiberstar Pal Treo LED lights/Wirtran
    -TF100 TestKit

5. Back To Top    #5

Where did you buy it online

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool Supply Warehouse
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -Pentair EasyTouch 4 w/IC40 Chlorinator,VS3050 Pump, Clean&Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter,Prowler 720 Robot Cleaner
    -TF100 TestKit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by OcneeDawg
    Any one have any suggestions of any other equipment I need or need to modify? I want to get a flow meter
    Have them change the piping to at least 2". It will make your system a bit more efficient
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Gunnert from my research you don't have any warranty doing it yourself. My luck the pump will lock down after a year and I will be stuck.

9. Back To Top    #9

I talked with Pentair before I made the purchase and was told it didn't matter who installed the components as long as they were installed correctly. One of the main reasons I chose alll Pentair was you get an extended 3 year warranty when you buy at one time. After purchase I went to the Pentair website and registered same.
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -TF100 TestKit

10. Back To Top    #10

I made a mistake with regard to who I got the Pentair products from. I got the Pal Treo lights from Pool Supply Warehouse, the Pentair stuff came from Pool Supply Unlimited, I also took advantage of the warranty thing and bought the Pentair Robot (non-remote) at the same time.

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/?gcl ... 4AodayxoGg
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -TF100 TestKit

11. Back To Top    #11

I am an avid diy guy but I say pay the money and let him do it all. That way there is no finger pointing if something goes wrong. While $1,000 is alot of money it is only 3% of the total cost.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

12. Back To Top    #12

Jason, well said. I'm just too hard headed sometimes. DIY can often backfire and I can attest to that first hand. But, when it goes right, to me, it's worth the extra trouble. It pains me to pay for something like this where someone profits just from doing the ordering.
    N Virginia
    -19,800 Gallons
    -TF100 TestKit

13. Back To Top    #13

Gunnert, agreed, when I DIY and save loads of money I get a real good feeling. At one time I had a problem recognizing my limits and on top of that I am a perfectionist. Being a perfectionist is why I tend to DIY because no one can do things to my satisfaction.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

14. Back To Top    #14

I usually do EVERYTHING myself, however I bought a Rinnai tankless water heater 5 years ago it was 1000 the guy wanted 1000 to install so I did it myself. This past winter it gave me an error message so I called Rinnai and they said it wasn't under warranty because a licensed Rinnai dealer didn't install it and it was an install issue. It worked fine for 5 years however. After arguing with the woman on the phone for an hr she gave me the number to the district manager took two weeks to get my water heater fixed that had a ten year warranty on it. O yea before I ever installed it I called Rinnai and the assured me it would still be under warranty it I installed it myself. That is why I am scared to do it myself on a big ticket item!