Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water test on my fill water

1. Back To Top    #1

Water test on my fill water

Hello all I am new to TFP. Thanks for all the GREAT info. I just got my TF-100 test kit and wanted to run some test on my water so I know what i will be dealing with. The pool hasn't ben set up yet so this came from the tap. here are my results I'm worried about my total alkalinity what do you think etc. I have a SWG just FYI. Any input is apperciated.
    FC - 0
    CC or TC - 0
    pH - 7.2
    TA - 300
    CYA - 0
    AG 18'X52" round Ultra frame Intex 8961 gallons with sand filter and SWG 1600 gph also have TF-100 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water test on my fill water

Pretty much anything can be adjusted after it's filled up except for CYA, so you should be good.. But i'm also new to this so somebody else might want to verify it.
    1970's kidney shaped pool. 23,000 gallons with concrete bottom and fiberglass walls, both painted in 2012 with epoxy paint. Single speed "energy efficient" 1 hp hayward super pump and hayward S-200 sand filter. Main drain leaks, and is thus disconnected. 16 mil ultraclear solar cover. Located in Northern Indiana. TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The high TA will make for some minor challenges, but all straightforward enough. You will probably want to stockpile some muriatic acid
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

So what should I start with? add the salt and get the chlorine going then worry about the AK? How will I go about lowering the AK? Thanks for the responses
    AG 18'X52" round Ultra frame Intex 8961 gallons with sand filter and SWG 1600 gph also have TF-100 Test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by heyblmyers
    How will I go about lowering the AK?
    muriatic acid
    1970's kidney shaped pool. 23,000 gallons with concrete bottom and fiberglass walls, both painted in 2012 with epoxy paint. Single speed "energy efficient" 1 hp hayward super pump and hayward S-200 sand filter. Main drain leaks, and is thus disconnected. 16 mil ultraclear solar cover. Located in Northern Indiana. TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to the forum!
    To lower TA read Pool School and see this link http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...l%20alkalinity
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

You might also want to check CH. Where I live, the fill water has a CH of 140, so I have to add calcium occasionally. Some people have very hard water, like CH > 600, and that is a more challanging situation.

Don
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

As you are reading and learning, do not get sidetracked by TA and CH.....neither of them are terribly critical in the startup. You will want all your focus on pH, Chlorine, and CYA.

Secondly, did you wipe the dropper tip every 5 or so drops when you performed the TA test? A brand new kit will require that and, if you don't, your TA will test high. That seems to go away after you have had the kit about a month.

Keep reading in Pool School and ask lots of questions
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to tfp, heyblmyers
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone just waiting on the sand and I will level it and then set up the pool we can't wait. Has anyone used the gorilla pad I also have one of those to lay down. Also purchased a magni clear solar blanket I think we are set any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.