In ground pool quote, any suggestions?

Blessedwithfivekids

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
Northern Connecticut
I have interviewed several PBs and have decided on this company. It is for an in ground pool, 20x42 double roman end liner pool. It will have two shallow ends one 3.5 feet and the other 4.5 feet with 6 feet in the middlle
It includes the following:
Steel walls
Masonary pool base
Two sets of full walk in stairs
28mil liner
Electric heat pump
Permit
Electrical
Cover just bag thing
SWG
2 let intellibrite lights
4 deck jets that spray into pool
3 feet stamped concrete around pool

All for...30,000 :shock:

In addition I need
Cantilever coping. 2340.00
Water. 1000. We are on a well :cry:
Mesh safety cover. 1600.00

I would like the cool solar cover built into the deck. 5000.00. Don't think I will get it! :oops:

What else do I need?
Are the prices ok?
I will need to pay extra for the fence and rest of the concrete
We need to do the fence right away but I think we will wait a little on the concrete :wave:
I live in Connecticut
The landscaping is on us as well, he said he would leave it graded flat :lol:

Please let me know your thoughts, I was trying very hard to stay under 30,000 dollars so I might try to get the PB to split the difference of the water and coping

A couple of thoughts from someone very new at this. We had a 16x32 vinyl liner pool installed last year without the heat pump and paid close to what you are paying. The difference may be in the amount of concrete. Our builder offered 4ft around the pool and 5ft on the ends and we added a couple more hundred sq feet. Now I wish I would had more. Our price did also include the mesh safety cover, booster pump and polaris cleaner.

I would not reccommend the heat pump, I live in NH and have a pool very close to the one you are getting, the heat pump I have does not work very well at all when the temperature is below 70 degrees. Our climates are not that different and I think you will be better off with a heater.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kechefs said:
I would not reccommend the heat pump, I live in NH and have a pool very close to the one you are getting, the heat pump I have does not work very well at all when the temperature is below 70 degrees. Our climates are not that different and I think you will be better off with a heater.
I forgot to ask, do you like the two shallow ends? How shallow did you go? Any chance yo could post a picture? :whoot: :wave:
Thanks
Sandy

11.00/sf sounds very hight to me. I have a propane heater and wish I didn't. Mother nature can suck heat out quicker than I could put it in (I don't have a cover). This past Saturday our pool was up to 77 degrees. We have had cool weather and Thurday it was down to 70 degrees. Three years ago I spent $200 on gas to get my pool to a good swimming temperature only to have a three day cold snap knock the temp right back to where I started, I basically threw away $200.00.

bobby1017 said:
jasonknox said:
11.00/sf sounds very hight to me.
Stamped concrete was $13.00 per sq foot in northern Ca.

Must be cost of living difference? I live in Georgia and the actual concrete is $1.50 per foot plus labor. Usual construction in our area is 50% labor 50% material. However concrete work is probably different, so lets say 3 times material for labor would be $6.00 per foot installed M&L. However the size and shape of the job will also change the cost per foot some, more sf less cost/sf and smaller sf more cost/sf.

bk406 said:
This is New England we are talking about here. What construction costs in the south does not apply. $11 a sq ft is reasonable in NE.

Jason, your problem isnt the gas heater. You need a solar cover.
Yea I figured it must be a cost of living thing. Like the heater I am not sure a solar cover is for me since we have a fairly long swimming season without using either. I can see how a solar cover would really work well up north with a shorter swimming season. I really don't want to have to take care of and store anymore pool related items.

Hi Sandy, welcome to TFP!!

I built and serviced pools in Ct. for 10 years (2001 -2010, Waterbury area based but had accounts in Winsted, Mystic and Fairfield & all in between)

The price is reasonable, even the stamped crete. I also think you'll be wanting a larger deck, at least in certain areas - 3' is too small for many things you'll want and is barely enough for the safety cover.

Let us know how things progress and PLEASE take pics and post them. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.