Backwashing sand filter

Aug 5, 2011
I have an intex pool and purchased an intex sand filter and pump 1600 gph for my 18' foot pool last season. When I backwash the sandfilter, it states in the manual to then switch to the rinse cycle to settle the sand in the filter, or something like that. My question is when I switch to the rinse setting after backwashing, do I do this with the drain cap on or off. The manual doesn't specify if need to put the drain cap on after backwashing or after rinsing prior to switching back to filter mode. I'm new to this, and need clarification.

I have a sand filter. It's an old pool and I didn't get any information with it when I got the house. I didn't know there was a "rinse" cycle. I would backwash, set it back to filtration and turn on the pump again.
Am I doing this wrong? Perhaps that's why I can never get the pool spotless. I get it clean, I can see the drain clearly but I've only managed to get it sparkling clean once since I've had the place.
When I backwash, I turn off the pump, I turn the valve and push it down all the way and turn on the pump and run it until the water is clear. I turn off the pump, I then pull up the valve and twist it to lock it in place and turn on the pump again.
What and how do I get the filter to the rinse cycle and how long do I run it in the rinse cycle?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.