Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwashing sand filter

I have an intex pool and purchased an intex sand filter and pump 1600 gph for my 18' foot pool last season. When I backwash the sandfilter, it states in the manual to then switch to the rinse cycle to settle the sand in the filter, or something like that. My question is when I switch to the rinse setting after backwashing, do I do this with the drain cap on or off. The manual doesn't specify if need to put the drain cap on after backwashing or after rinsing prior to switching back to filter mode. I'm new to this, and need clarification.
    ------------------------------
    24x33 gunite-plaster pool, 16,000 gallons, Filter Pentair FNS 60DE, Pentair Intelliflo HP2.0 pump, IntelliChlor SWG, 2 skimmers, 4 Pentair main drains, 5 returns inlets
    Houston, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwashing sand filter

You leave it off when rinsing. Rinse runs water the normal direction through the sand but sends it out the waste port, so you don't get a slug of dirty water in the pool after backwashing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for helping a newbie. Wasn't sure and the manual didn't specify whether to leave the cap on or off.
    ------------------------------
    24x33 gunite-plaster pool, 16,000 gallons, Filter Pentair FNS 60DE, Pentair Intelliflo HP2.0 pump, IntelliChlor SWG, 2 skimmers, 4 Pentair main drains, 5 returns inlets
    Houston, TX

4. Back To Top    #4

You are welcome.

And welcome to TFP. Stick around, take your shoes off, sit a while.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't cap mine off I leave the backwash hose attached all the time. Is there a reason it should be capped off?

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a sand filter. It's an old pool and I didn't get any information with it when I got the house. I didn't know there was a "rinse" cycle. I would backwash, set it back to filtration and turn on the pump again.
    Am I doing this wrong? Perhaps that's why I can never get the pool spotless. I get it clean, I can see the drain clearly but I've only managed to get it sparkling clean once since I've had the place.
    When I backwash, I turn off the pump, I turn the valve and push it down all the way and turn on the pump and run it until the water is clear. I turn off the pump, I then pull up the valve and twist it to lock it in place and turn on the pump again.
    What and how do I get the filter to the rinse cycle and how long do I run it in the rinse cycle?
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

7. Back To Top    #7

Not all filters have a rinse cycle. Yours may not have it.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

8. Back To Top    #8

Mesamav -- You have a slide valve and they don't have a rinse setting so you can't rinse. Only multiports have a rinse setting.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Mesamav -- You have a slide valve and they don't have a rinse setting so you can't rinse. Only multiports have a rinse setting.
    Ah! I got it now.
    Thanks for the help.
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.