Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dr. Doolittle of bugs

1. Back To Top    #1

Dr. Doolittle of bugs

Although my pool was built and filled last year (Oct.), we didn't have the opportunity to use it. As you could imagine, we were itchin' to get her open and enjoy it. Just opened her up on Friday (May 4) and aside from some minor scaling, looked great. However, (there's always a "but") the last two days I've noticed that my pool has it's own 5 o'clock shadow. It looks like every gnat in my neighborhood has committed harakiri in my pool. It literally looks like my pool has a poppy seeds floating in it. Anything I can do to get rid of these gnats?...or what I'm guessing are gnats? And worms...I think every worm in my lawn now resides at the bottom of the deep end of my pool.

Thoughts? Tips? Anything to keep the bugs out of my pool. Anyone ever experience this before?
    29' x 30' in-ground gunite, 20k gallons, superblue quartz finish
    IntelliChlor Salt Chlorinator
    IntelliPro VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump (3hp)
    Pentair System 3 Cartridge filter (S8M500)
    2 skimmers, 3 wall returns, 3 floor returns, 2 drains
    StaRite Max E-Therm 400k BTU gas heater
    2 Deck jets
    SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dr. Doolittle of bugs

The skimmers should take care of the gnats that are floating. I don't know how to prevent more. You should be able to vacuum or net the worms.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool