Vacuuming with Sand Filter

May 9, 2012
Hi, I am new to this site. I have a 18x52 intex pool and it came with the Deluxe Maintenance Package. It included an over the wall skimmer and vacuum that hooked throught the skimmer. The skimmer was hooked to the water intake by a screw on adapter.
I recentely purchased a new 2650 Sand Filter and the new water intake is bigger than the old one so I am not able to use the screw on adapter. Without this adapter the skimmer cant be use and I can't figure out how to hook up the vacuum.
Can someone please tell me how to hook up the vacuum to the pump? Or if I need to buy a new vacuum, which one should i buy? and how do I hook it to the sand filter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kim

The new filter/pump should have come with new wall fittings with two threads on them to accommodate both fitting sizes. This is the return but the intake should be the same.
f9102a35.jpg

I can't locate the intake one but if I remember right it was exactly the same.
The old blue thru wall fittings will screw right onto the inner thread and the vacuum hose should then fit into the hole of the fitting that used to go thru the wall and the skimmer hose over it as it used to. You could always try a diff sized vacuum hose if the one that came with it is too small or too big.

Thank you! That worked. I was able to attach the adapter and hook up the skimmer and vacuum but now I have another problem.
I filled the hose with water and I have the pump set on filter. It starts working but I only have suction for aboutfive seconds then it sounds like the motor shuts off. I still here something running but I have no suction.

Do you know what I am doing wrong?

Hi,
New member here. Tons of great info, thanks for sharing.
We have an 18 x 48 Intex metal frame, and added a 2650 GPH Sand Pump and Saltwater System this year.
The pool is up and I'm ready to complete the pump install.
Like the OP, there is no surface skimmer like the old pump, just an intake on the sidewall.
Even after the replies here, I'm still not sure how the vacuum would attach. This is the newest model and the intake does not look like the pics posted.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.