Drain through backwash?

jhever

Jul 28, 2011
Dallas, TX
If I plug my skimmer can I drain my pool on backwash? Wont it just drain from the main drain if I plug the skimmer? I don't have a valve on my pump to shut off the skimmer but will a plug do the same thing? I am only draining about 70% of the pool. I just didn't know if there were any drawbacks to this method since I can save $50 from renting a pump again. Thanks!

Yeah, I see no obstacle to doing it the way you are thinking. You may have to add back a little sand when you finish. You could also backwash for a few minutes to clean your sand and then go to the waste position and bypass the filter.

Good question. I have no idea. I just have a pull valve so when I backwash, I pull up valve and run pump. I attached a snap shot of my system. I just wanted to make sure if I drain this way it wouldn't cause problems. I only have one skimmer and one main drain. I've attached a pic if that helps. The previous owner left me no pool information.

Attachments

• pump2.JPG
    pump2.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 306
  • pump2.JPG
    pump2.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 281
I believe the valve is for the main drain. I closed it and still had suction in the skimmer. Not sure why they didn't put a valve on both lines. If I plugged the skimmer is it safe to backwash to drain or does that cause too much extra strain on the pump? I rented a pump last weekend (drain wasn't enough to reduce CYA) and was poking around for an easier way since when I backwash it lowers the pool water so quickly. Seems faster than the pump. I was just worried for when water level goes below skimmer.

Thanks!

What should I use to plug my skimmer hole? I went to Leslie's and they were no help. Is there an airtight threaded cap I should use? I thought it would be a standard part at the pool store but maybe I need to check a hardware store?

Thanks everyone for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.