Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain through backwash?

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain through backwash?

If I plug my skimmer can I drain my pool on backwash? Wont it just drain from the main drain if I plug the skimmer? I don't have a valve on my pump to shut off the skimmer but will a plug do the same thing? I am only draining about 70% of the pool. I just didn't know if there were any drawbacks to this method since I can save $50 from renting a pump again. Thanks!
    Pool newbie. 25k gallon in-ground plaster pool with DE filter. MX8 and PoolSkim

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Drain through backwash?

Yeah, I see no obstacle to doing it the way you are thinking. You may have to add back a little sand when you finish. You could also backwash for a few minutes to clean your sand and then go to the waste position and bypass the filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Does the main drain have a separate run to the pump or is it plumbed through the skimmer?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Good question. I have no idea. I just have a pull valve so when I backwash, I pull up valve and run pump. I attached a snap shot of my system. I just wanted to make sure if I drain this way it wouldn't cause problems. I only have one skimmer and one main drain. I've attached a pic if that helps. The previous owner left me no pool information.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

You have two suction lines going to the pump so you may actually have separate skimmer and main drain lines. Unless the one with the valve is for the vacuum.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I believe the valve is for the main drain. I closed it and still had suction in the skimmer. Not sure why they didn't put a valve on both lines. If I plugged the skimmer is it safe to backwash to drain or does that cause too much extra strain on the pump? I rented a pump last weekend (drain wasn't enough to reduce CYA) and was poking around for an easier way since when I backwash it lowers the pool water so quickly. Seems faster than the pump. I was just worried for when water level goes below skimmer.

Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Plugging the skimmer and pulling through the MD is fine. Be sure the valve is open all the way.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks!! Figured it was worth trying to save $50.

9. Back To Top    #9

One word of caution: when you start draining, don't shut the pump off until you are done. Most pumps can't lift water over a few feet once prime is lost.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

10. Back To Top    #10

What should I use to plug my skimmer hole? I went to Leslie's and they were no help. Is there an airtight threaded cap I should use? I thought it would be a standard part at the pool store but maybe I need to check a hardware store?

Thanks everyone for the help!

11. Back To Top    #11

The expandable rubber freeze plugs seem to work well. Not sure what size you need, but they cary a variety of 1.5 and 2" sizes at our local Lowes.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks! I will check there today