Installation Location of SWG Cell

Apr 20, 2012
Hello Experts!

I have a new SWG on the way (Compupool CPSC48) as well as two new Jandy Neverlube valves to replace the Pool and spa return ball valves shown in the picture. Normally, the spa overflows into the pool. 25k gallon pool.

My question is whether I should install the cell in location A or location B? There are no space problems because I will redo the entire piping from the heater output to the point where the pipe go into the ground.

I have no automation, so when I want to use the spa, I manually change the valves and turn on the heater.

I have read a few different opinions and have basically come up with philosophy of operation for each option:

Option A: When running normal, the SWG would be on, and chlorine would go to pool and spa. When in Spa mode, if I left the SWG on, I've read that the FC could get very high (is this really a concern?) If I turn off the SWG in spa mode to avoid high FC in the spa, I'll lose some of my daily Chlorine production so I'd have to bump up the SWG output during other times, and I would also have to turn it back on after I'm done in the spa.

Option B: When running normal, all of the chlorine would go to the pool, and none to the spa. Could this cause a serious lack of chlorine in the spa? When running in spa mode, I would have to either rely on the internal flow switch in the SWG (bad idea) or manually turn off the SWG. The same problem arises that I would have reduced chlorine production when using the spa and have to remember to bump up production and remember to turn it back on.

I'm not really forgetful, remembering to turn off and on the SWG isn't a big deal, but I think it would be a pain to have to be adjusting Chlorine output just because we used the spa.

So I guess after writing this, the underlying question is whether the build up of FC in the spa in option A is really a valid concern? Another possibility would be to put the SWG in "Winter" mode during spa operation where the chlorine output is reduced.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Rob

Attachments

• SWG Location.JPG
    SWG Location.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 164
  • SWG Location.JPG
    SWG Location.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 154
Since you don't have an automation system to automatically turn down the SWG percentage for you when in spa mode, It is better to install the SWG in the pool return, after the split from the spa line. There won't be a problem with lack of chlorine in the spa unless you use the spa continuously for many many hours. If the SWG was installed before the split there would indeed be a significant chance of getting FC levels during spa use that were way too high (assuming you forgot to turn off/down the SWG).

Thanks for the quick response! One followup question - I will install the cell after the tee on the pool return side. Does it make any difference if I put it before or after the pool return valve? For ease of pipe routing, I would prefer to put the cell before the valve. I don't see any reason this would be a problem, but just wondering if there might be something I'm overlooking.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.