Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: newbie replacing weak pool pump

newbie replacing weak pool pump

I have a 26,000 gal pool w/ an infloor cleaning system (paramont). My pump is a Hayward Northstar SP4015x20. It's not giving much suction. The basket was split wide open so I'm pretty sure something got into the pump.

What would be a good inexpensive replacement pump? I know that a new variable speed pump would be ideal, but I just don't have $1,000+ now, and I really need to get some circulation going in the pool.

Thanks in advance for any help.

robles5
    12k gallons, pebble tech, DE filter, SWG (inop?)

Trying to learn!

Re: newbie replacing weak pool pump

How comfortable are you troubleshooting/taking apart a pump? You may be able to fix it without buying a whole new pump.

Besides the lack of circulation, what else is going on? Does it sound normal? Is the motor turning but not pumping?

My first reaction, based on low flow and a broken basket, is an impeller problem. Whether it's broken or clogged up, I'd at least start there before dropping the cash on a new pump.
    TFP Moderator33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1.5HP PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater
    Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Senior Member In the Industry

Add me to smykowski's excellent advice. If fixing or refurbishing fails a 2-speed pump gives you a lot of flexibility without the huge cost of a VS but smykowski's thoughts is the first thing I would pursue.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Just add me to the list of "rip it apart and see what's broken" before you buy a new pump crowd!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.