Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: What is that thing?

What is that thing?

I am trying to figure out how to maintain an old (late 70's) pool. It has a big old Squimquip sand filter, and right next to that is another canister about a third of the size. The canister seems to be downstream of filter heading toward the pool. It's got a pressure seal but no pressure gauge. Inside is just a basket made of very fine cloth in which a quantity of fine silt has collected. I have not opened up the sand filter yet so I'm not sure if that stuff is sand that has escaped, plaster from the pool, or something else. Can anybody tell me what this thing is for and what I can do to help it do whatever it's supposed to do?

TIA
    32,000gal; In-Ground; Sta-Rite Posi-Flo 135SF Cartridge Filter; .75 Hayward Max Flo Pump & .75 Booster; Pressurized Polaris 380 Cleaner

Re: What is that thing?

I have something very similar, but it is a DE filter and it is there to allow me to back flush without losing any water. The container collects the waste DE while allowing the water to either return to the pool or be sent to waste.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec pool/spa,Pentair Intelliflo VS, 2 hp Super II pump (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Solar heating

A photo will help. Do you have any valves after or just before this device?
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    Commercial Products Sales Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

The equipment is in a cramped little pool shack so it would be impossible to get an overall photo but maybe I can stitch one together. It looks like the plumbing goes POOL --> PUMP --> FILTER --> THIS CANISTER --> GAS HEATER (not in use) --> BOOSTER PUMP --> POOL
    32,000gal; In-Ground; Sta-Rite Posi-Flo 135SF Cartridge Filter; .75 Hayward Max Flo Pump & .75 Booster; Pressurized Polaris 380 Cleaner

Booster Pump?
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    Commercial Products Sales Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

Yeah, for the pool cleaner.

May there have been a DE filter at one time? It sounds like a recovery tank for a DE system.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

huh... maybe it is DE. I thought it was sand because it looks pretty much like this: http://ebookbrowse.com/high-rate-sand-f ... d286680821

I guess I need to do more googling.

So the function of that would be keep the DE from going to the pool, and you'd put whatever collected there back into the filter?

Post a picture of the filter label and we can help identify it. I don't have a recovery tank, but I think it collects the dirty DE so it can be disposed of properly when you backwash the filter. You don't want to put used DE back in your filter.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21" round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!