Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising PH with Borax

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising PH with Borax

So i'm a fairly new pool owner, and I'm learning the BBB method. Pool is 10,000 gallon in ground plaster pool. I picked up pool Calc for my phone, and have been using it religiously ever since. Had one question though. So I read that to help keep the PH in balance I want about 30-50ppm of borax. Its also my understanding that Borax stays in the pool indefinetly, but I may be understanding that incorrectly. Well I need to raise my PH, and it seems that Borax is the substance of choice to do this, since it won't effect TA much, but if I do this repeatedly everytime I need to raise my PH, won't I end up with too many Borates in the pool? I'm sure I'm missing something, because there doesn't seem to be a lot of debate on using Borax to raise PH, and I couldn't find anything about Borates getting out of wack.

Thanks
    10,000 gallon IG plaster pool with sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising PH with Borax

Welcome to TFP!

It takes huge quantities of borax to change the borate level. The far smaller quantities used for adjusting PH are not likely to ever add up to anything significant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Raising PH with Borax

Thanks for the quick response.
    10,000 gallon IG plaster pool with sand filter