Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete Sealer

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete Sealer

Well needed to get deck resealed, have lots of area so hired local contractor to do it. I have an electric cover so I told the contractor to roll the sealer on near the edge of pool and to stay away a couple inches. I reminded him several times, however as soon as he leaves the job his guy starts spraying near the pool cover. Anyways they did get some specks of sealer on the cover and probably in the water (it was near the edge where it closes). It was a acrylic diamond shield voc sealer. Anyway I can probably live with the specs more concerned about effect in water if a few drops got in. Will the pool filter remove any sealer that may have gotten in the water when I start it up next week? Would the water by safe to swim?
    26,500 Gal, Vinyl, Sand Filter, Haywood SWG, Automatic Cover, OHIO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete Sealer

What protective measures was the sprayer guy taking?
    18K Gals, Intelliflo VSD, Pentair Catridge, SWG, Solar & Gas Heat, Pebble Tec, Jandy AquaLinks, Pool Pal for Android.

3. Back To Top    #3

Chlorine will break down the sealer in the water; I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more concerned about the cover, since the solvents could conceivably eat away at the vinyl.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Chlorine will break down the sealer in the water; I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more concerned about the cover, since the solvents could conceivably eat away at the vinyl.
    How would chlorine break down sealer in water? I don't think acrylic sealer is water based, so it should not mix. Does chlorine break down toxic chemicals in water. I thought chlorine is only a disinfectant for bacteria.

After it is done curing in a few days would it still eat the cover?
    26,500 Gal, Vinyl, Sand Filter, Haywood SWG, Automatic Cover, OHIO

5. Back To Top    #5

Chlorine oxidizes (breaks down) organic compounds, including petroleum products like sealer. It may take a while, but it sounds like you only had a tiny bit to start with.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden