First water test after opening... Need your input.

Sep 22, 2011
Hi everyone,

I opened my pool last week and I've done my first test after opening. I added 5 gallons of 12.5% sodium hypochlorite and I have two floaters in the pool with four pucks in each. I did my first full test tonight and I'd like comments on the results:

FC - 18 ppm
CC - 0 ppm
TA - 40 ppm
Ph - less than 7.0 (yellow)
CYA - 0?? (water was pretty clear and the dot at the bottom of the tube was easily visible)

Obviously, my Ph is a problem, but I'm wondering if that's because my FC is so high. Also, I'm still not detecting any CYA, which is weird because we bought the house in September and the prior owner (I think) used pucks exclusively, and we used pucks for one month last season before closing the pool. I plan on using the pucks until my CYA comes up.

Let me know what you think I should adjust. Thanks,

Kevin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to confirm, pool calculator is telling me I need to add 174 oz (by weight) of borax to increase my ph from 7.0 to 7.5... that's about 2 1/4 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (76 oz box). Does that sound right? Also, how do I add it? Predissolve in a bucket and add in front of a return jet? Thanks again,

Kevin

kodiak1120 said:
Also, how do I add it? Predissolve in a bucket and add in front of a return jet?

Yup that is what I do.. Actually I have a bucket that I drilled 2 small holes in near the bottom. I scoop up some water from the pool, and let the stream from the bucket fall in front of the return jet. Then I add my Borax or soda ash depending on what I'm doing. and give it a good mix (You may have to do this in steps since you are adding so much).

This lets it stream into the pool at a slow rate and you don't have to monitor it...

-Craig

kodiak1120 said:
Just to confirm, pool calculator is telling me I need to add 174 oz (by weight) of borax to increase my ph from 7.0 to 7.5... that's about 2 1/4 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (76 oz box). Does that sound right? Also, how do I add it? Predissolve in a bucket and add in front of a return jet? Thanks again,

Kevin
Re-check the pH calculations and be sure to include the current TA.

Also, when you are making large changes, only add about 2/3 of the amount, circulate and re-test. Then you can fine tune.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.