"Extremely" Green Pool

Jun 25, 2011
I know this post isn't going to follow the guidelines at the sticky of the thread, and this is because the pool in question isn't my own and right now I don't know anything about it, besides the fact its 30-35,000 gallons and has cartridge filters. I'm in an awkward situation where a friend of the family helped us out with our trees so somehow I got volunteered to take care of his pool, only because ours is "clear" and "nice" honestly I have no idea what I'm doing I'm just good at maintaining it, have been the last few years, but we have never really had major problems it’s easy to maintain something that doesn’t have problems.

With that said, I don't know anything about the pool except that it’s extremely green with algae; the water itself has turned a green color. I know that last year he spent over 1600 dollars in materials for the pool to get it nice and clean (which he did) but then there was a horrible tornado in our town which made it worse, and he hasn't touched it since.

I know he’s going to call me up soon for help. I just need to know some articles, or posts about what to do when the pool is completely green. I'm sure that no matter what type of pool it is the fundementals are all the same. I assume the first step is to clean up, kill, and get rid of the algae, but I don't even know how to go about doing that. Never had algae problems in our pool in 20 years, and not in the last few years I’ve been maintaining it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Melt In The Sun said:
Here ya go:

turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

For your own sake, take a read through Pool School when you have a few minutes:
pool-school/

Thank you very much. I've skimmed through the pool-school a few times in the last couple years, I really needed a good detailed read on green algae. Thanks a lot!

EDIT - Ok it says you need to bring the chlorine up to shock level and keep it there. What is shock level considered? Is it just entirely based on your CYA level and thusly just use the calculator?

You need to scoop all the debris out of it before you try to vacuum. And yes, test and bring it back to shock as often as you can. The more diligent you are at keeping it at shock level the faster it will go.

First fish out as much as you can, gunk, leaves, limbs, bodies, chairs, etc. The less gunk in the pool the less chlorine you will have to use, scrub, vacuum, cleaning filters as needed (which will likely be often at the start), the idea is to let the chlorine get to the algae to kill it, you will likely need a lot of chlorine for this (a lot is hard to quantify though), you will want to raise it to shock level, and keep it there while scrubbing and removing as much gunk as you can. At fist the chlorine will drop below shock level very fast, the closer you are to finishing the longer it will maintain.

Ike

Don't be surprised if it goes from green to brown and all sorts of other colors before it clears up, you may want to get your pH in the right ballpark before starting, note pH test are not reliable at FC levels over 10-15ppm

Ok thanks guys. I understand to get all the big globs of junk out of there first, but after that is done should I vacuum while still checking shock levels, or just leave it untill its all cleared up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was finally going to get a chance to use the "this thread is useless without pictures" smilie, followed by the "eating popcorn" smilies - but for some reason I can't get to the "more smilies." So, suffice to say, could you post some before and after photos?? And, good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.