Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin brains in the rain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Northville, Mi

Dolphin brains in the rain?

I've got a Dolphin and was wondering if it's okay if the 'brains' are out when it rains. The manual says "The power supply unit is splash proof do not immerse it in water." But I'm not sure if rain would be too much or not.

Any thoughts?
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Dolphin brains in the rain?

Well, rain is a bunch of splashes, so I wouldn't stress too much about it. I'd keep it dry if I could though!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

As long as it is sitting right side up and not in a puddle it will be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

I try to keep mine out of the rain but it has gotten wet and still works ok. Just adding extra risk of a failure in my mind.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Diego, CA

Before I bought my dolphin, I called around to the various service techs in the local area to get their of them claimed that nearly all issues with dolphins are a result of either not storing unit under shelter when not in use (in pool is definitely frowned upon - garage is preferred location), the motor breaking, or letting the power system get wet. So, I'd be very hesitant about letting the unit get rained upon.
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.