new 22x52 intex pool sinking... HELP

May 9, 2012
i just recently purchased a new 22ftx52 intex pool, dug out and laid sand and leveled it out. of course the back side had to be banked up to make level. we had to banked up quiet a bit. we proceded to set the pool up has directed. I filled it up and by morning the back side poles had sunk about 3 inches. i have recently drained it and ready to start over. i know we need to reprep the sand again to make sure it level. but my question is what can i put down once its level to make sure it will not sink again. i have been told there is a type of concret i can lay under the pool to prevent it from sinking, but i dont know what its called or where to buy it. If anyone can help i would be greatly appreciative. thanks bunches :?

Normally you try not to build up the earth because of what's happening to you. If you do you need to water it and tamp it down firm. Did you use pavers under the posts? This helps distribute the weight and keep the posts from sinking. The pavers are normally set level into the ground. The ground needs to be level under the sand, the sand is more for smooth comfort and protection of the bottom of the pool from rocks, not so much for level as it shifts some.

I've had to dig down almost three feet to get level across the 27' for the pool I'm putting up. I've used four pieces of heavy equipment so far, 2 farm tractors, a backhoe and a Toro Dingo for final level. Unfortunately the Dingo blew a hydraulic hose before it was quite level and I still have to do some hand leveling:(.

I'm sure others will be along with more advice.

Welcome to TFP!
Sorry to have to say this, but using fill material isn't really going to work very well. The best thing to do is to dig out more so that the entire pool is sitting on undisturbed soil. You could try renting a plate compacter (jumping jack) and really packing down the fill, but digging further is your best bet.

thanks for some of ur advise. and dan what are these pavers and where do i get em.. and when i get em do they set ontop of the sand or what do i need to do before i can use em. i am so dumb to this..lol and i dont think it help i got a husband who thinks he knows what he's doing.. that is why we are in position in the first place..

google some videos on pool installation, they will help you understand the process.
Dig the high side down, don't add material to make it level, and make sure you use something to get it level - the human eye cannot sufficiently determine true level.

ok i have done some looking online and these pavers that i have found are pretty much concret steppin stones.. right? im a thinkin removin all sand and doing a lil more diggin and reapply some sand and use these pavers and that should take care of my sinking problem. i hope... (crossing my fingers)

You just found out what about 100,000 lbs of water can do. :shock:

Start over hun. Keep digging. :goodjob:

Welcome to tfp, lil_tink74 :wave:
lil_tink74 said:
im a thinkin removin all sand and doing a lil more diggin and reapply some sand and use these pavers and that should take care of my sinking problem. i hope... (crossing my fingers)
Like others have said, you need to dig the whole pool bottom down to the lowest point of undisturbed ground. Do not put sand under the pavers, dig the pavers down so they are flush with leveled dug down ground.

ok thank you all so much! im heading to lowes today... wooo hoooo! i just may get this up and running yet...and yeah casey i found out that 100,000 lbs=10,472 gallons of water can really clean the road pretty good. but oh the other hand i have the greenest yard in the block...lol and it only cost me $70.00. but again thank you guy all so much for ur advise. this site is awesome, im sure its gonna come in handy here real soon. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tink, steps for installing an Intex pool:
Steps that I used to create my original pool area:
1. Choose area, use a can of marking paint to paint a circle 2' larger that your pool. ie 18' pool = a 20' circle.
2. Cut sod off and dispose of. (if you do not do this it rots and stinks terrible)
3. Attached a 4' level to a 10' 2" x 6" pegged to the middle of the circle.
4. Swing board in a circle trimming away any high spots and filling in any low spots (less than 1/2").
5. Tamped entire area with a hand tamper. (lots of work, rent a plate compactor it goes a lot faster and not as hard on the back and shoulders.)
6. Put down 1 1/2" or 2" styrofoam (the pink stuff). Tape the seams with Gorilla tape. Cover it all with a HD tarp. (don't use the tarp that they send with the pool, get a good HD one)
7. Setup pool, place 1 1/2" or 2" pavers/patio blocks under the legs.
8. Fill pool with 2-3" of water and smooth all wrinkles out.
9. Fill up the pool with the rest of the water.
10. Test water with your new TFTest kit (you did order one right?) use results on The Pool Calculator and add BBB (if needed) to your Pool.
ENJOY THE POOL!!!!
Mike
PS, I did eliminate a few steps. Like go to store buy beer. Go to store buy AsperCreme for the aching muscles. Go to store buy more beer. LOL

I told you Lil_tink that others would be along to help. It's a great group of people here. Looks like you've gotten good advice and more in-depth then I could give in the limited time I had. Once you get it up be sure to read up on "Pool School" link on how to keep it sparkling. It's really pretty easy and not as expensive as pool stores make it out to be. TFP is the primary reason we're moving from a ring pool to a hard sided pool this year. That is if we can ever get it up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.