Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cynaruic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

cynaruic acid

i have a 18,000 gal. vinyl pool. last fall my cyanuric acid count was about 45ppm. i opened my pool this spring and tested my water for cyanuirc acid was 0ppm. i was wondering because i live in iowa if you could lose acid because of winter conditions or is it normal to lose it. i do drain about 6000 gals. out in the fall, then i get this back be cause of snow melt and rain that goes through my meyco safety cover. hope for an answer. thankyou dick

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: cynaruic acid

Yep, it does happen. Here's a recent thread:

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mike S

The CYA faries paid me a visit over the winter and swiped mine also. Went from 80 to 0.

If you do some searching you'll see that we aren't alone. There is a bacteria that can consume it under certain conditions. In my case we had a very mild winter and I had a lot of leaf litter get through a hole in my cover. I'm guessing that contributed to it. I ended up with a green mess when I took my cover off on Sunday. I'm burning through a lot of chlorine and trying to the challenge up slowly.

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the info butterfly. it sure puts my mind at ease i thought i was losing my mind instead of acid.