Difficult to replace a pump with a variable speed pump?

May 9, 2012
Elk Grove, CA
I'm in the process of purchasing the Pentair Intelliflo SVRS Pump. My pool store I frequent says that this device can take the place of both the pool pump and booster. How is the install done to take over both pumps. I'm not paying for the install as its crazy expensive and I'm pretty good at all DIY stuff. Just not understanding how the plumbing side wuold work on switching things out and/or connecting both pump lines to this new pump. Any help is appreciated.

My knee jerk reaction is that if you need a booster pump now you will need one with a new pump and the pool store is wrong. However, they type cleaner you are using could dictate whether a certain pump could be used in leu of a booster pump. I must admit I have zero faith in pool store recommendations without doing my own research.

Off the top of my head I think its the Polaris 360 or 380.
Called my bro-in-law and he just replaced his pump w/ the Hayward VS. I asked how they hooked up his sweep to the new pump in lieu of the booster and said he never had a booster. So as much as I agree w/ you guys about the idiots at the pool supply place I have to say that the VS can operate both features. I would love to kick both of the existing pumps out of here and replace with the new VS but just need to know the diagram of the plumbing hookup for both operations. Changing the single stage pool pump out is a snap just need to know how to do both.
The previous owners must have got a swinging deal from someone (probably an intern at a pool place) because my main pump is .75HP for a (approx. gallons) 32,000gal pool. No way that pump can keep up unless I run it 24 hours a day. Which is why I need to change the pump(s) out. Prob the filter too (any recomendations)?

Whether you have a 360 or 380 is very important :) The 360 doesn't require a booster, the 380 does; if you already use a booster pump for your cleaner you have the 380, and it won't work without it. You can get a different cleaner if you want just one pump.

What size/type of filter do you have? It may be fine, you may need a bigger one. What's the brand and model of your 3/4hp pump?

Here's the pump I currently have.
imagejpeg_2_4.jpg

And the filter I have is a Starite Posi-Flo2 (cartride). Was thinking about switching over to a Pentair DE 60SF.

That stinks about the sweep. I would love to get ride of the second pump but Dang paying another $500 for a new sweep seems ridiculous. Maybe I could upgrade to that down the line easily (?)

That pump should be plenty big enough for that pool. You're not going to gain as much as you think by switching pumps. The filter is another matter. There are 4 models of that filter, which model do you have?

For a 32,000 gallon pool a 60 SqFt DE filter isn't nearly big enough. You should go for the 80 or 100 SqFt. If you leave the pump and change the filter I think you'd see a big difference.

Well thats helpful news...I thought I needed something in the range of over 1 HP for sure. The biggest issue I have on the pump side is just the energy savings the VS gains you. At the end of the day I'd rather pay now to save tons down the line in lieu of asking this pump to be a workhorse for 10 hours a day.

On the filter side...The model I have is
imagejpeg_2_5.jpg

imagejpeg_2_6.jpg

I've kinda been torn on filters to use. Cartridge, Sand (not a big fan) and DE. Recomendations?

Unless your electric rate is above about 25 cents per kwh you're better off with a 2-speed model. The payback for a vs model is too long below that.

If you stick with a cartridge filter you should look for a 200 sqft or larger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.