Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preparing for a high bather load

1. Back To Top    #1

Preparing for a high bather load

Our family will be hosting a gathering of a fair number of people this Sunday. It's anticipated that anywhere from 15-20 of them may want to splash about or lounge on rafts for some/much of the afternoon. The group will be about half kids and half adults, and will be at our place for roughly 6-ish hours, during the heat of the day. The pool will be in direct sun the entire time.

I've got a few thoughts on preparing for this event, and would like input, suggestions, and other ides.

1) I'm planning on adding some fill water, up to near the top of the skimmer, just to account for what's sure to be heavy loss to splashing.

2) I'm going to run the filter continuously, and vacuum well and backwash Saturday afternoon, to have a nice clean point to start from.

3) I'd presume elevating the Chlorine a bit would be in order, but am not sure by how much?

Are any of those ideas foolish? Anything I'm missing that I can do?

=========

The latest "full round" of tests was the morning of 5/6, before adding any daily chemicals, results were:

FC - 2.5
    CC - 0
    TA - 120
    pH - 7.8
    CYA - 30

Those results have been pretty predictable and repeatable.

I've since added 24 oz of CYA (on 5/7, so 45 is a pretty good estimate I think) and started maintaining a target FC of 6 instead of 5. We typically now lose about 2ppm a day, down to 4ppm or so.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preparing for a high bather load

Yep, good ideas

I suggest a pre-party starting FC of 8 to 10ish.

It will be good to lower the pH to about 7.2. All that splashing will raise pH and you are already at 7.8.

Make sure to test pH & FC/CC after the party.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks BF

Just for clarification, 7.8 was that morning. I typically bring it down to/try to maintain 7.5, but with the higher TA, that's tough. Your advice is spot on, however, as the high aeration combined with high TA is certainly likely to spike it. I'll hammer it with some dry acid that morning.

So I think the plan is to test around 7am, set a target of 10ppm FC and 7.2 pH in the pool calc, and dose to those numbers. Folks are supposed to arrive around 10-11 or so, so that should give plenty of time for everything to circulate and make for a nice safe, sparkly pool
    Thanks for the suggestion on FC as well. Was thinking 8-10 might seem appropriate, good to have it confirmed.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

4. Back To Top    #4

You got it covered

First pool party with new pool? Take pics
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

gboulton,

Very nice planning ahead. You are a true BBB'r. If the bather load is really HEAVY, don't be surprised if your pool clouds up for a day or so. Simply maintain your FC right at that elevated level of 8-10ppm and run your filter until it clears. BF LOVES pics!! So do we all!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, sure is.

We happen to share a property line with the nearby regional airport. Air show is this weekend, and we're kinda close...how close? Well...this is an F-18 taking off to do his demo at last year's air-show (Turn your volume down...it gets a little loud *heh*)

[youtube:2c748tig]_O9kmMr4Tsw[/youtube:2c748tig]

We always invite a crowd over, grill up a bunch of dead animal, and just have a fun afternoon watching really cool airplanes fly over the house. This year, we've added the pool.

Personally, I intend to watch the entire Blue Angels performance while lying on my back on a pool mattress!

@duraleigh,

Wow...thanks for the compliment! I told y'all in my intro...I'm an old aquarist who LOVES simple!

Thanks for the heads up on cloudy water too. I'll keep an eye open.
    -Gordon

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow! Talk about a front row seat at the movies!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I intend to watch the entire Blue Angels performance while lying on my back on a pool mattress!
    Now, THAT ROCKS!!! What a pool party!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Heh...every so often the local airport authority reminds me of how much I love my house.
    -Gordon

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    BF LOVES pics!! So do we all!!
    Well, no pics of the pool party yet of course...but when I say the airshow happens over the house, I'm not kidding.

Taken looking back over the house, from the "back side" of the pool :

Taken from the front yard...the C5 is a metric ***load of airplane, y'all :

-Gordon

11. Back To Top    #11

I love your signature "quote". Awesome views also...
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    I love your signature "quote".
    Heh. Thanks. My wife is awesome, and I have no idea how I got so lucky!
    -Gordon

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by gboulton
    Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    I love your signature "quote".
    Heh. Thanks. My wife is awesome, and I have no idea how I got so lucky!

In that case, forget the pool pics and show us a pic of your wife!
    (just kidding!)
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    In that case, forget the pool pics and show us a pic of your wife!
    (just kidding!)
    -Gordon

15. Back To Top    #15

More fun over the house.

[youtube:vw870x6e]f1eSOd2DvYY[/youtube:vw870x6e]

[youtube:vw870x6e]W4a7AukF_zM[/youtube:vw870x6e]
    -Gordon

16. Back To Top    #16

Well, sadly, the forecast for Sunday just keeps getting worrse and worse. Right now, the highs aren't going to get out of the 70's this weekend, and a strong chance of rain/clouds/storms.

Hopefully things will brighten up by tomorrow, otherwise my planning will all be for naught. (Though i will certainly be able to file away what I've learned, for next time!)
    -Gordon

17. Back To Top    #17

I understand about being on your back and watching the Blue Angels. I used to go see them at Pensacola Beach. We could not swim but we could layout on a blanket. And being in the Navy at the time made it even better. Hope the weather clears.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 633 2500 GPH "B" Cartridge

18. Back To Top    #18

Well, the weather forecast for Sunday is just horrible. Thunderstorms mid day AND late afternoon, with a cloud deck so low even the Angels low show would be threatened, and temperatures not terribly suited for swimming. All in all, a big fat

Can't thank you guys enough for the input and insight on the preparations, though. I intend to file all this away for future use. And just so I don't completely dominate this topic with off topic pictures of airplanes (though I WILL start another thread in the appropriate place for those) here's a quick shot of the kids and some friends enjoying the pool as I type this.

-Gordon

19. Back To Top    #19

yeppers, great pic, that's what it's all about

Well, I have my popcorn all ready for the flyovers - so I will save it