Is there a way to keep a liner from floating?

Dee

Nov 4, 2007
Chattanooga TN
I noticed my liner at my steps is suddenly loose at the wall near the pool bottom. I tried brushing it down but it poofs back up. The ground is overly saturated from all the rain we're getting and I'm thinking the liner might be trying to float. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Or could it be something else causing the looseness?

Jason, thanks for the reply! I'll go turn on the hose right now. According to the weather forecasts starting tomorrow we should get dryer weather for the next week. How do I keep wrinkles from forming? Just keep brushing it and try to keep it smoothed out while the ground drys up?

Dee, HI! :wave:

I hope you had a good winter! It's great to 'see' you again :!:

Jason's got the right idea on the cause! However, I'm going to give a little 'tweek' to what he said. While it's possible that the water table under your pool (ground water) has risen - hasn't your area been experiencing a drought? What I suspect is that the water from the recent rains you've had is having trouble soaking into the ground and is 'puddling' under your liner. The 'ground water' and 'surface water' have the same result ( a 'floating' liner), if it is a ground water issue, the way to deal with it properly is to make a 'well point' and install a pump to keep the ground water from 'pushing' your liner around. If it's the surface water, a possible fix is to install a 'French drain' (I don't think that this is the proper term, but everybody uses it to describe this) to reroute the water from the pool area.

As a practical matter: when the water under the liner starts receding, use your pool brush to work the wrinkles out (liners that have 'floated' almost always have wrinkles when the water under it subsides :cry:

I KNOW that you would be LOATH to call the PB back into your yard, but he can reset the liner if you do end up with wrinkles :x

Again, good to see you again and I hope that this doesn't negatively effect your enjoyment of the pool this summer!!!

Hey Waste, so good to hear from you! :wave: Hope all is well with you and yours! My winter went well. How was yours? What do you do when the pool season ends?

You are right about me loathing to have the PB back out here so after talking with others in my area I chose not to close the pool and can happily say no problems -- until the spring rains hit! I'm sure it is ground water. The soil is heavy clay and had a water drainage problem before the pool. I talked to the PB at building time and he said since he was using the dirt from the pool to build up the area that the drainage problem would be eliminated. Last spring the liner floated at filling time and that 's how the first liner end up all wrinkled and all my previous problems started. So much for the PB's theory! :blah:

I had to go to work this weekend after starting this thread and it rained some more so I was afraid to go look at the pool this morning but the liner is not getting any worse. While at work I kept trying to think of what I could do. :idea: It's like if I could wrap a concret block up really good in towels and just set it at the base of the right corner of my steps it would hold it in place and keep wrinkles from forming (should I try this or could I cause a worse problem? or just try to keep a close watch and try to smooth the wall out as the ground water recedes with my brush?).

The liner had started pulling loose on the same side of the pool right past the corner but after searching for your "ABC's of replacing the liner in it's track" I finally found your post and was able to get it right back in. Knowledge is power -- thanks so much! :bowdown: (I also found your link to Radio Margaritaville and have been playing the station on my computer since and that we have the Dead in common!)

Could you point me in the right direction about installing a well point and pump? Since this is the second time in 2 springs this has happened I'm betting this could become an annual occurence -- and one I could very well live without!!

Love my pool and BBB and can't wait until it's warm enough to dive in -- been thinking about a solar cover -- what's your take on them? Again, great to hear from you -- hope you have a successful season! :)

crabboy said:
waste said:
I wanted to say 'Good Bye" to you especially :cry: Due to things beyond my control, I will no longer be able to participate on this site :evil:

Did I miss a post where Sean is banning you for dispensing quality information? That may happen on GW, but I've never seen it here.

In the past year, I have only banned a few people, but never for dispensing quality advice. :?

I'm sorry I can't give out all the details, but out of respect for Ted and his privacy, I will not discuss this publicly other that to say that unfortunately we had a difference of opinion that could not be resolved. It was his decision to leave the site - a decision I'm sorry he made. I do wish things were different and I thank him for all his many contributions to the site and wish him well.

Sean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It ain't a thing. Let's just consider this a poor, and late, April fool's joke :p Sean and I are both big enough persons to get past our 'tiff'. As has been said elsewhere, interpersonal relationships are sometimes 'strained' - it's the better people that can work things out and put it behind them :!: I will say that Sean was the bigger man and approached me first - he has also been honorable in keeping our difference between us and refunded the full amount that I had paid to be a lifetime supporter - it's no wonder that this site is growing as quickly as it is!

Sean, when you read this, thank you! for being the 'bigger man'! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.