Need your thoughts on pump run times.

jjyoumans

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2012
La Plata, Maryland
Hello all. I'm a newbie on the site (and a BBB convert!) and have owned an IG pool since we had it installed in 2006 (24,200 gallon, plaster). I have gone back and forth on the timer settings for the pump. I've tried 8 hours on 16 off, 12 on 12 off, etc. Someone even suggested running it 2 hours on and 2 hours off, continuously. The local pool store crew, which has given us great service, recommends a 12/12 cycle for optimum cleaning performance. We don't have a spa or water features and the Polaris 280 runs on a booster pum;.

Our filter is a Pentair DE FNSP48 with these specs: 48 square feet effective filtration area, 96 GPM flow rate and . . .

46,080 gallon 8-hour turnover57,600 gallon 10-hour turnover69,120 gallon 12-hour turnover.

Current pump is a Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1 HP single-speed.

Any thoughts or personal experiences with pump run times are appreciated!

Welcome to TFP!

Every pool is different, so copying what someone else does with their pool is not especially likely to help you figure out what you should do.

You want to run the pump as little as possible, while still keeping the water sparkling clear. How long that is can only be determined by experimenting with your pool. Splitting the pump run time up into several segments helps just a little, but is not required. Most people discover that they can get by with way less pump run time than they initially thought.

Just ti reiterate what Jason says, My neighbor down the road has the exact same pool I do but a different pump. He runs his about 2 hrs more than I do. He also has more bather use than I do. We both use the same BBB method and sometimes we use the exact same amount of bleach etc. So not 2 pools are the same even when they are the same.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.