Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need your thoughts on pump run times.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need your thoughts on pump run times.

Hello all. I'm a newbie on the site (and a BBB convert!) and have owned an IG pool since we had it installed in 2006 (24,200 gallon, plaster). I have gone back and forth on the timer settings for the pump. I've tried 8 hours on 16 off, 12 on 12 off, etc. Someone even suggested running it 2 hours on and 2 hours off, continuously. The local pool store crew, which has given us great service, recommends a 12/12 cycle for optimum cleaning performance. We don't have a spa or water features and the Polaris 280 runs on a booster pum;.

Our filter is a Pentair DE FNSP48 with these specs: 48 square feet effective filtration area, 96 GPM flow rate and . . .

46,080 gallon 8-hour turnover57,600 gallon 10-hour turnover69,120 gallon 12-hour turnover.

Current pump is a Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1 HP single-speed.

Any thoughts or personal experiences with pump run times are appreciated!
    24,300 gallons, 18' x 36' IG, plaster. Eight returns; three floor, five wall (including Polaris return). Two skimmers, two main drains. Pentair FNSP48 DE filter. Aqua Heat LS heat pump heater. Coverstar auto cover. Polaris 280 w/booster on Jacuzzi Magnum Force pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need your thoughts on pump run times.

Welcome to TFP!

Every pool is different, so copying what someone else does with their pool is not especially likely to help you figure out what you should do.

You want to run the pump as little as possible, while still keeping the water sparkling clear. How long that is can only be determined by experimenting with your pool. Splitting the pump run time up into several segments helps just a little, but is not required. Most people discover that they can get by with way less pump run time than they initially thought.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! That all makes sense of course. I will probably stick with running it 8 hours a day . . .
    24,300 gallons, 18' x 36' IG, plaster. Eight returns; three floor, five wall (including Polaris return). Two skimmers, two main drains. Pentair FNSP48 DE filter. Aqua Heat LS heat pump heater. Coverstar auto cover. Polaris 280 w/booster on Jacuzzi Magnum Force pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Just ti reiterate what Jason says, My neighbor down the road has the exact same pool I do but a different pump. He runs his about 2 hrs more than I do. He also has more bather use than I do. We both use the same BBB method and sometimes we use the exact same amount of bleach etc. So not 2 pools are the same even when they are the same.
    12"x33" Summer Escapes AG Ring Quick set 1590 Gallons (Gift for my son by Grand-parents)
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 633 2500 GPH "B" Cartridge