Nitrates

Klbdr5

May 9, 2012
Last year opened with very high nitrates and drained most of the water. This year same problem, should I drain again or try chlorine addition. Pool tests showed 0 fac and tac. Ph 7.2. Ta 70. Cya 40. Calcium 80. Nitrates 20/+3. phos 100. Don't know which way to go. Thanx

Welcome to the forum!
The way to go is Pool School, lots to learn from the button top right.
Nitrates and phosphates are not a problem if you keep your chlorine level up in the suggested range. Some forum members manage their pool with phosphates in the 000's not 00's

You need to get that chlorine in fast though otherwise your fears will be recognised and algae will quickly get a hold as phosphates and nitrates are nectar for algae.

If you use shock, because it also contains cyanuric acid will raise your cyanuric acid level to so you may not want that to rise much more than the 40ppm it is at the moment.

Bleach will not increase you CYA level and will mix almost immediately as it's a liquid so will get to work faster, almost certainly cheaper to but watch your pH.

Had water tested again and still no chlorine. I think I need to continue the process over and over until the chlorine block breaks, just unsure how.
Fac 0
Tac 0
Ph 7.2
Ta 60
Cya 40
Ch 90
Td s 400
Phosphates 300

Don't understand why this happens each year
Could it be from chemicals at the closing?

If you have ammonia in your pool it is very difficult to oxidise and can consume a huge amount of chlorine giving results like you are experiencing. Maybe an idea to test for it.

Chemgeek gave a lot of information on this, have a search of the forum.

Don't understand why this happens each year
Could it be from chemicals at the closing?
You are not putting nearly enough bleach in your pool to have any effect. The Pool Calculator tells me you need somewhere in the vicinity of 5 gallons of 6% to get to a shock value of 16ppm and that's where you should be. I suspect you have been dabbling small amounts of chlorine in your pool and it is getting consumed as quickly as you put it in.

1. Read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry in Pool School

2. Read "How to Shock your Pool in Pool School

3. Tell us how your water looks?

Added 400 oz of 6% chlorine at 6 40 pm. The water is clear and looks fine. I have learned a lot so far and still have much to learn. I am amazed at the amount of knowledge on this site. Truly amazing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I try and use sodium dichloro (chlor brute) in addition to the bleach
the chlorine in dichlor is the same chlorine that's in bleach. You are simply not replenishing it fast enough as the organics in your pool consume it and you never got it to shock value to begin with. You need more bleach. The pool is going to consume what it needs to kill the organics in there....it is up to you to give it enough ammunition. :lol:

So adding the bleach or ch in steps is useless. It must be added all at once for it to have the desired effect. Can you add too much?
I added the 1 1/2 gallons but was out of bleach so I added 2lb of sodium dichlor should I add more dichlor? How long should one wait to test again?

dichlor adds A LOT of CYA to your pool and you don't need anymore. Go get some more bleach, test your FC and add enough to bring it back up to 16ppm. You will never be a good BBB'r if you keep tossing things in your pool and are not aware of what they will do. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ( I hope that doesn't sound like a scold...it's intended to make a very important point about BBB.....know what is going to happen before you add chemistry....it eliminates some nasty surprises. :lol: )

If you can't get the bleach tonight, spend time up in Pool School.

Not taken that way I knew I was straying but was frustrated with the chlorine block. Didn't know if I waited till tomorrow if I would have had to start all ove agian with the bleach so I piggybacked the chlorine with two bags of shock. The chlorine was off the charts when I tested tonight. I don't know how to check for 16 ppm my chlorine tester maxes at 7.

duraleigh said:
You need to add another 1.5 gallons to get to your shock value of 16ppm. Have you found the Pool Calculator yet?
Sorry Dave, missed the blindingly obvious wrong bleach figure :oops:

Klbdr5, you need a good test kit and the excellent TFP100 should be high on your shopping list. In the event you cant measure high enough, dilute the sample with the same amount of tap water, measure that and double the result.

Had water tested today as follows

fac 5
tac 5
ph 7.2
ta 90
cya 30
ch 150

think i need to bring up the ph a bit next but would like a confirmation first. bough a few boxes of 20 mule team. let me know what you think please.

As stated above, you need your own test kit. Those numbers look OK, but who knows how accurate they are...?

Don't worry about anything but continuing to shock your pool. Have you read this article?
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

If you don't follow these instructions, you'll continue to have problems. If you trust the pool store to help you get it clean, you will waste money (possibly lots of it).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.