Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner install DIY

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner install DIY

My liner needs to be replaced. My local pool store hasn't impressed, they have missed the appointment to come by my house twice. Now I'm thinking about ordering it and installing it myself. How hard is it, how many people does it take, and does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
    18x36, IG, Vinyl, 25,000 gal, S-200, 3/4 Super Pump, BBB or bust!
    I have a new bottom, new plumbing, and everything is working good!

2. Back To Top    #2

Liner install DIY

I did it on my pool with one other person, neither one of us had done it before. I asked lots of questions and read a bunch here. It was on of the easiest parts of the pool build. Cutting in the light, skimmers, returns an steps
    was a little nerve racking but if you take your time it is very doable. I have no wrinkles.
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Liner install DIY

A good shop vac makes it even easier.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Liner install DIY

A shop vac or two is a must and it will run until the water is several inches deep in the shallow end. There are many YouTube videos that are decent tutorials on this.
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

5. Back To Top    #5

I did my 20X40 with 3 guys it went smooth as silk. The shop vac makes all the difference. I used a stihl gas blower the intake fit perfectly in the skimmer top. i taped it on and taped the throttle about 30% open lots of volume you could actually see the line pull into place
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with rhumbaclave, it was the easiest part of my pool build. I, however had six people and wish I had more. That being said I am not entirely sure I went about it in the most effecient way.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Axhammer
    My liner needs to be replaced. My local pool store hasn't impressed, they have missed the appointment to come by my house twice. Now I'm thinking about ordering it and installing it myself. How hard is it, how many people does it take, and does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
    If you're gonna order it yourself, PLEASE be sure of all your measurements BEFORE you order it! Installing a liner for the first time is enough of a challenge without having to deal with all the hassles of an incorrectly sized liner.

Though I never got around to writing the DIY liner drop post - I can certainly give you some 'tips and tricks' to installing a new liner. (one of the most, if not THE most important thing's is to be sure there is nothing left behind the liner that will, one day, poke through!)

Please post pics and keep us informed as to your progress and completed job.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

I contacted Cascade pool in Chesapeake VA. The guy came out and looked at it, quoted a price, and described how long it's going to take. I got all the answers I was looking for, I think I'm going to have it installed for $2750...
    18x36, IG, Vinyl, 25,000 gal, S-200, 3/4 Super Pump, BBB or bust!
    I have a new bottom, new plumbing, and everything is working good!