Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquidator or Pump applications ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquidator or Pump applications ?

Is there a few posts out there that discuss the pros/cons of the liquidator compared to a stenner or pulsefeeder or any other type of pump application for injection that someone can point me in the direction of ? Not just cost but reliability,tuning,maintenance etc. Been looking through a bunch but must be missing something? Or has anyone tried the liquidator to only end up going the pump route eventually ?
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquidator or Pump applications ?

Quote Originally Posted by roadking00
    Or has anyone tried the liquidator to only end up going the pump route eventually ?
    i-ve-defected-to-the-dark-side-new-peristaltic-pump-t29652.html

3. Back To Top    #3

A couple of people here have been switching from Liquidators to stunner pumps recently. The Liquidator seems to have a couple of minor problems that seem to come up for a lot of people. On the other hand the Liquidator is quite a bit less expensive and it does work well enough for most people.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm the defected guy, so if there's something you want to know feel free to ask.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I'm the defected guy, so if there's something you want to know feel free to ask.
    Thanks Bama, I'm on page 3 still of your defective (LOL) post...this is the info I was looking for.I think this will be the route I go for next season for sure.I will definately be in touch when the set up time comes along..for right now I have to get the "BBB" program down this season and it will give me a good ballpark of my daily dosage I'll be looking at when the time comes this fall to tear into it and redo everything....Unless I get impatient this year

Thanks, Again

Thanks for the fast reply James/Jason as well....

My wife is on the verge of busting my chops because of all the reading/research I've been doing on this forum Good thing she dont see how much I read at work during the day
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)

6. Back To Top    #6

I have been using an LMI plunger style metering pump for a couple of years now, overall it has worked well, but some parts (plunger, seals, springs, etc) must be replaced about every 12-18 months due to break down around chlorine
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    I have been using an LMI plunger style metering pump for a couple of years now, overall it has worked well, but some parts (plunger, seals, springs, etc) must be replaced about every 12-18 months due to break down around chlorine
    Is there the same maintenance issues that need attention with the Stenner pumps as well ?

8. Back To Top    #8

Everything mechanical can and will fail.

Having said that, I personally have had better luck with the peristaltic pumps than the diaphragm or plunger pumps. The pump tube is the most common maintenance item and I know pumps that have been in industrial caustic and acid service that have been in operation for 4 years and never had a tube to fail. YMWV (your milage Will vary).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Finally got through the 7 page post...so no major issues to speak of so far for your pump and set-up and time period you've been running with it Dave ? Also it seems like a 15gal barrel is the preferred and best size storage tank to go with then ? As you may be able to tell after all the reading and getting all learned up the impatient by nature factor is creeping up on me

10. Back To Top    #10

Any potential / known issues with using a pressure ran Polaris 360 vac while injecting ?

11. Back To Top    #11

I've had no leaks at all since installing it. I like the 15 gallon drum. It'll last a little longer than a month on my pool and that's long enough.

The pump injects such a small amount that it's not a concern for the cleaner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Sweet...sounds like I'm sold..Just ordered the 15gal drum from that brewers supply $26 and change delivered next will be the pump...

13. Back To Top    #13

You won't be sorry.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I can't say I switched but I have both now. Just installed a Stenner yesterday so I can't give feedback yet.

I have been running the Liquidator since 2007. No issues that are show stoppers. Off the top of my head, only two issues I had was 1) My VERY expensive Tygon tubing would pop off, for it's very soft and would not hold onto the liquidator's fitting well. The off the shelf cheap tubing works just as well as I found out. 2) The Liquidator could not keep up during the high demand periods but this was over come by manual adding of chlorine. For me no big deal. For me, The Liquidator is well worth the investment. I even own the pH Adjuster, one of the few I think. I plan to continue to use the Liquidator as a chlorine holding tank when I no longer can get a drum of chlorine. Until then the Liquidator will be semi-retired but never replaced.

I also learned not to drill or tap into PVC. From now on I add a "T" where I need to interact with the flow. This way I can cap off the area during the winter if I want to winterize or change up fittings for various projects. Just saves a lot of time and headaches.

Another lesson I have learned... Pools are not for penny pinchers... It cost year around and nothing last forever. I am planning to replace yearly the Stenner tubing, fittings and anything else that comes into contact with the chlorine. This 12% chlorine is rough on the equipment!
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster