Hi, I'm new to the forum, so hopefully I provide enough info.
I became a first time pool owner last July, and have been doing my own pool upkeep since then. I tried switching to the BBB method last year, but buying all the bleach, and checking everyday wasn't for me. I did buy a TF-100 test kit though to do my own readings instead of relying on the pool store.
I'm back to using 3" pucks and 57.8% calcium hypochlorite shock.
My readings that I just took are:
FC - 6.5
TC - 6.5
pH - 7.5
T/A - 70
CH - 400
CYA - 70-80
I had algae building up last week, so I backwashed the filter and added new DE since it was a little over the 10lb pressure allowance, and I brushed down the whole pool, and added 3lbs of shock.
The next day, after running the filter for 24 hours, the pool was crystal clear. Now after just a week, it's back to having yellow looking algae on the walls, and even the floor.
I had this same problem last year, and did the same steps... brushed and shocked, and changed DE as needed. During the really hot months it seems like I was needing to change the DE almost weekly.
I'd like to know if one of my chemical readings is really out of whack, or what I can do to prevent the algae.
Thanks for the advice, and sorry for the long post.