LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Grecian IG pool 18.5 wide x 37 long , the low end is 36" deep and then slopes down pretty quickly to I believe 8' , whats the most accurate way to get close to the volume without ever being in the pool Physically to measure at the slopes of the deep end and the slope from the low end entering the deep end..and also keeping in mind the angles that are deducted on each corner for the Grecian layout ? Using the average of 3,4,5' as a guess has a pretty substantial difference per foot of water.This is probably one of the stupidest questions out there so far, but I'm trying to get everything as close as I can to make sure I'm draining enough water and have the right #'s plugged into the pool calculator to adjust/balance everything else once I get my CYA levels down...Or am I being to critical for no reason ?

No stupid questions ... although I think you may be taking this a little too seriously :)

It can be pretty hard to estimate the volumes of varying IG pool. Make your best guess and use that to calculate your dosages in poolcalculator.com Then keep a written record of your Before, Target, and After measured levels. Over time you can start adjusting your volume based on trends. For example, if you are continually overshooting your FC and pH changes, then your pool volume estimate is likely too large and should be lowered in the calculator.

Note that the half life of 12.5% chlorine is pretty short. So by the time you are using the last of the 5 gallons, the actual FC level may be quite a bit below 12.5% ... this could make adjusting your pool volume problematic if you do not know the actual strength. I think there is a way to test the strength by adding a certain amount to a specific volume of water in a bucket, but I would have to search for that info.

As JB said, don't seat the petty stuff. Come up with a good swag at it and fine tune it over time. It's best to keep track of different chem additions over time as that'll give you the best estimate of size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.