Skimmer replacement

Apr 30, 2012
Illinois
After getting shock in and circulating my skimmer cracked :( Its a rather old pool and cant find a skimmer with the right deminsions. Has anyone ever bought a skimmer bigger then there opening and installed it? Is that easy to accomplish?

I have, you need to cut the opening out of the pool wall and then attach the new skimmer. It's best to do this when changing a liner though as I usually end up pop riveting an aluminum plate to the wall and then the skimmer is attached to that piece. Try to see if there are any model numbers on that old skimmer; someone might be able to help you out.

Seems like the attachment would work. However my whole skimmer bucket has fallen apart so I need the whole bucket/wall insert. If the skimmerboy was more then a few dollars I'd try to construct one. Think Im gonna give it a shot when Im up and running. Cant be to hard a few pvc tubes and some thin cloth or pantyhose

Installing a larger skimmer shouldn't be a problem. I'd lower the water to just below the skimmer so it'd help hold the liner in place. Then remove the old skimmer and CAREFULLY mark the outline of the new skimmer. One of those vibrating saws would be prefect for cutting the hole in the metal wall. Cut it from the outside and use a vac in very close proximity to the cutting to keep the chips out of the pool. I'd even tape a piece of plastic sign board (like those political signs are made of) over the inside of the liner.

Ok, got the new skimmer in and installed....finally it doesnt leak. I had to use some silicone around the edges and between the gaskets. However now the new connecter where the water returns to the pool is leaking. It has 2 rubber gaskets and a cork one. Could I remove the cork all together?

jademoon said:
Ok, got the new skimmer in and installed....finally it doesnt leak. I had to use some silicone around the edges and between the gaskets. However now the new connecter where the water returns to the pool is leaking. It has 2 rubber gaskets and a cork one. Could I remove the cork all together?
I think you can. I am just running one black rubber gasket on the inside of my pool and I have no leaks. It is the inside gasket that is most important.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I recently made a template for cutting a hole out of metal for a skimmer. Pencil rub a sheet of paper of the skimmer and use this as where to cut onto the metal. I used a dremel tool with a metal cut off wheel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.