Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer replacement

After getting shock in and circulating my skimmer cracked Its a rather old pool and cant find a skimmer with the right deminsions. Has anyone ever bought a skimmer bigger then there opening and installed it? Is that easy to accomplish?
    AG Round Bestway EZ set 15' x 42"--3284 Gallons--Jaccuzi Lasor Sand Filter Model 160L, 16" diameter --- Pump Pentair Aquatools PMP 1HP
    P/N: AT2408610

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Skimmer replacement

I have, you need to cut the opening out of the pool wall and then attach the new skimmer. It's best to do this when changing a liner though as I usually end up pop riveting an aluminum plate to the wall and then the skimmer is attached to that piece. Try to see if there are any model numbers on that old skimmer; someone might be able to help you out.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Seems like the attachment would work. However my whole skimmer bucket has fallen apart so I need the whole bucket/wall insert. If the skimmerboy was more then a few dollars I'd try to construct one. Think Im gonna give it a shot when Im up and running. Cant be to hard a few pvc tubes and some thin cloth or pantyhose
    AG Round Bestway EZ set 15' x 42"--3284 Gallons--Jaccuzi Lasor Sand Filter Model 160L, 16" diameter --- Pump Pentair Aquatools PMP 1HP

4. Back To Top    #4

Installing a larger skimmer shouldn't be a problem. I'd lower the water to just below the skimmer so it'd help hold the liner in place. Then remove the old skimmer and CAREFULLY mark the outline of the new skimmer. One of those vibrating saws would be prefect for cutting the hole in the metal wall. Cut it from the outside and use a vac in very close proximity to the cutting to keep the chips out of the pool. I'd even tape a piece of plastic sign board (like those political signs are made of) over the inside of the liner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Would I trace on the outside of the new skimmer or trace on the inside hole?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jademoon
    Would I trace on the outside of the new skimmer or trace on the inside hole?
    Inside! I think many skimmers come with a template to help. You could make a template of the inside rectangle, if yours doesn't.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, got the new skimmer in and installed....finally it doesnt leak. I had to use some silicone around the edges and between the gaskets. However now the new connecter where the water returns to the pool is leaking. It has 2 rubber gaskets and a cork one. Could I remove the cork all together?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jademoon
    Ok, got the new skimmer in and installed....finally it doesnt leak. I had to use some silicone around the edges and between the gaskets. However now the new connecter where the water returns to the pool is leaking. It has 2 rubber gaskets and a cork one. Could I remove the cork all together?
    I think you can. I am just running one black rubber gasket on the inside of my pool and I have no leaks. It is the inside gasket that is most important.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the quick reply. Gonna go try it..Hope it will stop leaking

10. Back To Top    #10

The cork gasket goes on the outside between the rubber gasket and the big nut. However you can just leave it off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The cork gasket goes on the outside between the rubber gasket and the big nut. However you can just leave it off.
    What is the purpose of the cork gasket?

12. Back To Top    #12

It's a cushion as well as a seal.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I recently made a template for cutting a hole out of metal for a skimmer. Pencil rub a sheet of paper of the skimmer and use this as where to cut onto the metal. I used a dremel tool with a metal cut off wheel.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp