Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muratic Acid Cost

1. Back To Top    #1

Muratic Acid Cost

I was buying my Muratic Acid from Home Depot for around $9.00 per gallon last year. I when back last week to get some more and it was $12.00 per gallon. Has any body else noticed this? Is there something going on in the Muratic Acid market or did Home Depot just raise prices?
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muratic Acid Cost

I get if for like 5 bucks a gallon at the grocery store. I think my homedepot was high too.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

My local pool store sells it for $4.50 a gallon. Lowes and HD down the street are right about what you paid.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

I get it for $3.50-$4.00 per gallon at Menards.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

my HD and Lowes sells it for about $10 per box (2 one gallon jugs in box)
    13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

6. Back To Top    #6

Lowes near me sells gallons for $6.98 USD each. I double checked that price online to confirm my recall. Lowes also gives us 10% Military discount for the asking (and upon showing ID card).
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

I've paying ~$12 for the 2 gal box at lowes.
    12k gal gunite, Sunstone Plaster, Pentair IntelliFloŽ VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Pentair CCP520 cart filter

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

$5.49gl here 31.5%

9. Back To Top    #9

$10.00 for a box of two gallons plus tax at my local Home Depot
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump

10. Back To Top    #10

jasonknox,

Think you may have gotten your numbers wrong. I went to Home Depot last week and bought 2 gallons for $12.98. They come in a 2-pak. If you bought one gallon, my guess is they charged you for the 2-pak. They only sell them in 2-paks here in MD.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Last I knew, $9.99 for a 2 gallon box at Lowes and HD here.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

In my area, Lowes will sell you two different containers of MA, depending on which part of the store you get it from. If you go in the paint area, you can find a gallon of Klean-Strip MA at 31% strength for about $7. (Don't confuse that with the Klean-Strip Safer, which will probably be right next to it). Or, you can go into the outdoor/pool section, and find Kem-Tek MA in a box, 2 gallons of 15% MA for about $10. That is, double the volume of half the strength for more money than a gallon of the full-strength stuff. And, if you want to smile, you can look at the contents of the "Daily Sanitizer and Shock" - 5.25% sodium hypochlorite, for $4.00 a gallon.

Stay out of the "pool" areas of the hardware store, unless you're getting CYA.
    33k in-ground plaster pool and spa / Goldline T-15 SWG w/ Aqualogic controller / RS2000 Hayward pump / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter

13. Back To Top    #13

This is one thing I actually buy at Leslie's pool store since I believe it is twice as strong as that sold in the hardware store pool section. Although I do not recall the price.

Just wanted to point out there is a large difference in strength sometimes do have to be careful doing price comparisons.

Edit: just saw the last post basically said the same thing.
    Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Home Depot is 31.45% acid solution which seems to be standard and is about the max you can have.
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    jasonknox,

Think you may have gotten your numbers wrong. I went to Home Depot last week and bought 2 gallons for $12.98. They come in a 2-pak. If you bought one gallon, my guess is they charged you for the 2-pak. They only sell them in 2-paks here in MD.
    Your right, the prices I quoted were for 2 gallon packs. However they still went up $3.00 per two gallon pack.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

16. Back To Top    #16

If you're in the construction industry (which I'm not, but am fully aware), ALMOST all building materials have gone up at least 20% in the last 6 months. They say it's primarily due to the shipping costs, but everything has gone up. I've got a friend building a house and most of the materials that they had been quoted prior to building went up at least 20%. My guess is that would be the same reason for the muriatic acid.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by faby3003
    I get it for $3.50-$4.00 per gallon at Menards.
    Same here, I believe it was on sale last year around $3/gal and I bought 4. Haven't needed more since.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]