Hi.. New here, and wanted to pass on some info to help out

Vyrys

Apr 13, 2012
Helloooooo fellow pool peeps.

My name is Nathan, and just for introduction sake, my username (Vyrys) comes from being an I.T. person in my company, and accidentally deleting the HR Directors calendar in his email. From that point on, I was known as the virus. It's been a good laugh over the years.

People used to make fun of me for using walmart bleach and baking soda, and most of all borax. Then I stumbled on this website and showed them. They just said "wow"...

anyhoo... wanted to say howdy, and also share my experience with three things so far.

First, I had a slight algae problem last fall. Unsure of why, but with crystal clear water, a green algae just kept growing on the vinyl liner. Mostly on the walls only.
shocking the pool did nothing.
so a friendly 'helpful' neighbor helped me put copper based algecide in great amounts in the pool.

In the spring, I have brown stains.
upon inspection, a lemon removed the stains within 3 seconds, so I knew it was metal.

Citric Acid Treatment Diary ensues:
Day 1 Neutralize chlorine with sodium thiosulfate
Day 2 Add 5lbs of citric acid ($19.95 on Amazon)
Day 3 Stains gone - Add 1 qt. Sequa-sol and pH decreaser
Day 4 Add 96 oz of bleach
Day 5 chlorine 0 - add 270 oz bleach
Day 6 chlorine 0 - add 364 oz bleach
Day 7 chlorine 0 - add 364 oz bleach
Day 8 chlorine 0 - add 364 oz bleach
Day 9 chlorine 7.5
Day 10 chlorine 7
finally holding. seems to take forever but it works.

next, I ordered two pieces of equipment.
1. The pool devil. Now while it did take quite some time to get this delivered, I have to report, it works very well. The day after installation, the surface was pretty much spotless. -- I am wondering if 'aerating' the surface will cause pH to increase.. almost seems it has, but too early to tell after, rain, storms, adding water, and citrix acid treatment.
2. The PoolCleaner 4x from Poolvernuegen. This thing rocks. I started out with the 2 wheel version, and it's ok, but didn't work good for my size pool (18x36) rectangular. The hose was too short and it reared up in the front. the 4x version works perfect... and I recommend it much more than the 2x... I got it for $399 from INYO pools... (off of eBay).. but you can also go to their site.

I don't work for any of these companies.. as I said, I'm an I.T. guy. I had been unknowingly been doing the BBB method for a while, and when I found this site, it was confirmation I wasn't crazy lol.

sooooo.... howdy everybody, and hope this helps anyone looking for reviews/knowledge on those 3 items.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.