Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where do you store your muriatic acid?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where do you store your muriatic acid?

Okay so I'm in Texas and obviously it gets down right sweltering here in the summer. So where do you store muriatic acid that's safe for you and keeps the chemical in safe temperature climate? I honestly don't have any problem with the idea of just leaving the stuff outside, but I'm pretty sure it would build up some gases in the container before long right?
    10,000 gallons, In ground, Gunnite pool
    Pentair Whisper Flo Cartridge filter system with inline 3" tablet chlorinator
    Using the BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where do you store your muriatic acid?

I have a 4 shelf plastic cabinet outside close to the pool where I keep mine. I also keep it in the garage as well. You are not supposed to store it in living quarters or I remember reading this.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I keep mine in the garage, but it doesn't get as warm here in MN as it does in Texas.

You want to make sure you don't store it next to your bleach. I would think keeping it outside would be finel. I don't think acid is temperature sensitive like bleach is.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I figure I can store my bleach in the washroom since I have an extra cabinet in there for storage. I just really don't want the muriatic acid in the house if at all possible. An outside storage unit may not be a bad way to go though. I'm pretty sure outside in the shade has got to be cooler than the enclosed garage come mid-summer. What about a plastic ice chest with the water drain hole opened up for venting or I could even add a few more holes on the side for venting? Just thinking that might keep it well shaded, insulated and away from accidental human tampering.
    Using the BBB method

5. Back To Top    #5

I just leave mine outside near the pool equipment. MA is stable at high temps, and the caps are vented so they won't build up pressure because of the heat.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

I keep ours in the well house on the bottom rack of a storage shelf along with the DE and a measuring cup and a 2 gal pitcher.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    I just leave mine outside near the pool equipment. MA is stable at high temps, and the caps are vented so they won't build up pressure because of the heat.
    Ditto!
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

8. Back To Top    #8

then it sounds like outside by the pool it is. Thanks!
    Using the BBB method

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    The caps may be vented, but don't they have the plastic/metallic seal over the opening?
    33k in-ground plaster pool and spa / Goldline T-15 SWG w/ Aqualogic controller / RS2000 Hayward pump / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah that's true...mine stay in the garage until I need them, and I only leave them outside once they've been opened.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

11. Back To Top    #11

My main concern is to make sure chemicals are safely located where kids, pets, etc. could not accidentially get to them.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

Yeah hubby and I were talking about it last night. I do think we'll get some sort of vented storage (even if it's just something I built) that we can lock. We don't have pets, but that doesn't mean there isn't the occasional stray cat or squirrels or whatever in the yard and then there's always the concern about the kids even though they should never ever be in the area. The pool equipment is in a separate side yard area from the pool and the rest of the yard.
    Using the BBB method

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jotting View Post
    Yeah hubby and I were talking about it last night. I do think we'll get some sort of vented storage (even if it's just something I built) that we can lock. We don't have pets, but that doesn't mean there isn't the occasional stray cat or squirrels or whatever in the yard and then there's always the concern about the kids even though they should never ever be in the area. The pool equipment is in a separate side yard area from the pool and the rest of the yard.

HCL boils at 230F so its ok to store outside. Hope this helps.

14. Back To Top    #14

I just used it last night, for the first time, and it is nasty stuff!!! Based on what I'm reading here, mine is going outside.
    16K gal IG w/ SPA, Wet edge technology pebble plaster, pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Tagelus High Rate Sand filter, Pentair easy touch control system, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend cleaning robot

15. Back To Top    #15

Be aware that the fumes which leak out through the cap will corrode anything metal. I use to store mine in the shed until I noticed the metal shelves near them started to corrode. Fortunately the power equipment in the shed wasn't damaged (yet). So I put the MA bottles in a plastic garbage can with a lid and located it outside the shed in the shade.

I would not store it anywhere equipment/vehicles could be damaged by the fumes.

PS - Jotting, I sent you a PM that may be helpful.

PPS - Oops....I just noticed the date on the original post....oh well...lol.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

16. Back To Top    #16

Agreed, too potentially dangerous to be indoors. I previously would store it in my garage with the caps sealed with black PVC pipe wrap tape and double bagged in heavy plastic. To annoying and I noticed a metal shelf nearby with some mild pitting corrosion. I decided I'd rather deal with hot swollen bottles outside then potentially risk damage inside. So now the entire 4-up of refillable jugs are stored outside in a back corner of my property where no one goes. Someday I'll get one of those resin Suncast sheds and store stuff in there
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

17. Back To Top    #17

Store mine in the garage top shelf, never had a problem, still alive.

Never smelt anything in the garage, otherwise would store somewhere else.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

18. Back To Top    #18

I never noticed any smell in the shed, but it still damaged the metal shelves.

I didn't see anything like this in Pool School, so I hope it's ok to post this link to another site that has a great thread about handling/storing MA.

Using Muriatic Acid to Safely Lower Your Pool's pH
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

19. Back To Top    #19

Resin deck box with a solo cup I re-use to add.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes on storing outside. I keep mine in a plastic deck box by the pool with a lock on it. I don't want the kids to get in it, or the numerous critters that seem to love our property.
    22,000 gallon IG plaster pool, raised spa w/spillover, variable speed EcoStar pump, natural gas heater, 60 SF DE filter, SWG (all Hayward), AquaLogic automated controller, Kreepy Krawly, TF-100 Test Kit