New to site please help

cbob53

May 8, 2012
27,000 gallon in ground pool had water tested at Leslies pool today.
FAC-0
TAC-0
CH-400
CYA-0
TA-50
PH-7.4
Pool was down at the end of the summer broken pipe lost about three feet of water and pump motor burned up. Could not refill because of water restictions in texas. pump replaced, pipe fixed pool full and very green. Have been putting 8 gallons of bleach for about 10 days. Chorline was staying well above 3 high as my tester goes., untill 9pm when i get home. Now saturday night chorline was gone,same sunday, Monday i put six in at about 8.30 pm checked this morning it is all gone. pool has gone from green to a cloudy gray. I have conditoner 8 pounds ,Alkalinty up 15 pounds. Leslies wants me to use all of this and wanted me to do green to clean, Did not get that.Help sorry for the long post.

Ading chlorine during the day with CYA really low is pretty much a waste of time. When CYA is zero you lose all of your chlorine to sunlight each sunny day. You should raise CYA up to around 30, then deal with whatever algae you might have, and then raise CYA up to a normal level after that.

Leslie's Conditioner is CYA, so adding perhaps 7 lbs (or 8 if you want) of that is great. I would raise alkalinity with perhaps 8 lbs. Any further adjustment to TA should wait until the algae is all cleaned up.

I was adding it after dark about 9.00 pm and it was staying up very high until the next night 9.00pm and was killing algae, Then all the sudden it was gone overnight never seeing the sun. With no cya would this happen at night

To clear things up effectively you will likely need to get a good pool test kit like the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100 ( I use the TF-100 as it give you more of the reagents that you use the most so is a better value), either one you will likeky have to order mail order, as it is rare to find pool stores that stock good test kits (it is bad for their business I guess). Right now you are trying to shock flying blind, without a good test kit you have no way of knowning your exact chlorine level when it is elevated for shocking and what your effectively doing is sputtering along randomly elevating your chlorine level which kills off some of the algae then gives it a break to grow back. What you want to do is be able to get your water up to shock level and keep it there until ALL of the algae and other organics in the water are dead! This means knowing where your FC level is when elevated, scrubbiung and vacuuming to break up the algae and expose fresh layers to the chlorine that may be shielded from it by the dead layers on top and periodically checking and boosting your chlorine level every few hours. The closer you are to getting done shocking the less often you will have to add chlorine to reach shock level.

Ike

ps Sudden drop in Chlorine over night is not likely CYA related, it may be just the chlorine breaking down the organics in your pool.

pool was really bad when i started, all kind of leaves and stuff in the bottom looked like a swamp. got most of the leaves out. Had know idea what any levels were.Started shocking cholrine level was staying higher than 3 for 24 hrs thought maybe my cya was high. I can now see bottom in shallow end 3ft. and it was looking better. Now the chlorine is gone overnight.

Ok, Went back to pool school and read Overnight FC loss Test again.
No sun at night , guess i still got stuff to kill. Will get test kit asap. Thanks everyone for the help. Will let you know how its going

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.