Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck Box

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck Box

I'm wanting to build a deck box to keep the pool toys in. I don't really care for the plastic ones available in the stores and I have the tools and ability to build one myself. Before I go and just start building a box, I thought I would check on here for ideas. I'm sure some of you handyman have constructed your own pool box. Any pictures and, or plans would be much appreciated.
    32,000 Gallon Plaster Pool
    Hayward Aqua Plus 40k Gallon Chlorine Generator w/ Controls PL-PLUS
    Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
    Polaris 3900 Sport Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Polaris 3/4 hp Booster Pump
    Pentair/PacFab Nautilus D.E. Filter 48 Sq Ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck Box

I'm guessing you want the pool box to have some style? Seeing you live in Cali and i don't know what the surroundings of your pool larea looks like I'll give this my best newbie shot.
    I would build each side of the box using bamboo in the center either run horizontally or vertically and picture framing wood to be stained around the bamboo. you can have a channel in the framing that the bamboo stalks slide into. you can get bamboo stalks from a 1/4 in to 6 in in diameter large dia could be cut in half .well just some of my ideas
    23.5k gallon IG oval w sloped sides w/ concrete deck
    Hayward Pro Series high rate sand filter m#S244T/Rainbow Lifegard inline chlorine feeder m#320/Magnetek 3/4hp booster pump
    Emerson 1.5hp 1081pool motor/Intermatic 24hr dial time switch m#104r/Fiberstars Fiber optics lighting m#6008/and a polaris

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the idea of using bamboo. I just might do that because we are getting ready to re-landscape the pool area with a tropical theme. I would still like to see someones plans as to how they constructed the actual box. ie lid, framework, hinges, etc.

4. Back To Top    #4

Consider what you might put in it, like 5 gallon bucket of pool chems or a roll of hose, etc. I built a few a round my spa and made sure I could fit my various plastic storage bins as well as milk crates.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
    Doughboy 16x24 "Aboveground Inground" in progress...

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually I'm wanting to build a box for pool toys. With 3 young grand kids, there are plenty of pool toys scattered around.

6. Back To Top    #6

My husband built this deck box. It's great for storage, a bench and a place to lounge around. It's nothing fancy, just functional. Excuse the appearance of the deck flooring, I plan to use my long weekend to pressure wash, restain and waterseal all our wood.

[attachment=0:18pncing]Pool Storage Bench.JPG[/attachment:18pncing]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd suggest using red cedar for the build..it'll stand up to the elements and wet pool conditions for a good long time.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha_in_AL
    My husband built this deck box. It's great for storage, a bench and a place to lounge around. It's nothing fancy, just functional. Excuse the appearance of the deck flooring, I plan to use my long weekend to pressure wash, restain and waterseal all our wood.

[attachment=0:2o3u39bn]Pool Storage Bench.JPG[/attachment:2o3u39bn]
    Thanks for posting. That's pretty much what I am looking to build. Hopefully I will get going on this project soon.