CYA was off the charts

Greetings- Sorry, I don't know who to direct this to. I'm a first time pool owner (10 old pool) and have a question/theory to pose based on a recent conversation with a Leslie's employee:

My CYA was off the charts so I drained appox 60-70%, routed through the deep end drains and out via garden hose connected to my spa fountain head. Refilled and took a sample into Leslie's to get CYA re-tested and learned it was still very high (150+). The Leslie's employee told me to use a submersible pump and re-drain from the top down because that's where the CYA accumulates.

Does CYA accumulate near the surface of the pool? If so, how deep is this layer? Also, this scenario implies that water below the 'surface zone' will have a different CYA composition and that CYA tests will be biased by how close to the surface the sample is drawn from.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Welcome to TFP!

Once disolved, CYA mixes uniformly throughout the pool. There is no higher near the surface thing, it will be the same.

My guess is that your CYA was really really high to start with. The other possibility is that their CYA test is way off, which is certainly possible but seems less likely.

I strongly recommend getting your own top quality test kit. You will get better test results than nearly any pool store and be able to test when you want to without needing to drive anywhere :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.