New pool is filling... have a few questions about my plan

MeSue

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Florida
New pool installed yesterday and it's still filling with water--about a foot left to go. It's going to be tomorrow before it's high enough to run the filter at the rate we are going. (We're on a well and can’t run the hose non-stop. Going out this afternoon and will have to turn it off for that, too.)

Pool is in full sun during the hottest part of the day and we are already up to 95 degrees here.

I am thinking I should go ahead and get some chlorine (and CYA?) in there. Chlorine--no problem, I can distribute it with a brush. But should I go ahead and hang a sock of CYA in there, too? Or would it be pointless if the water is not circulating?

My plan once the water is high enough to run the filter is:

• Keep chlorine topped off with liquid chlorine.[/*:m:2tm7juiz]
  • While filtering, get salt up to 3400 for SWG.[/*:m:2tm7juiz]
  • Run filter for a while (how long?) then backwash (new sand).[/*:m:2tm7juiz]
  • After backwash, add whatever CYA I need to get it to ~70.[/*:m:2tm7juiz]
  • Test TA and PH, and adjust as needed. (Our well water is TA 80 and PH 7.8, so hopefully won't need much adjusting.)[/*:m:2tm7juiz]
  • Once TA and PH are in line, turn on SWG.[/*:m:2tm7juiz]
  • After a while (how long to wait?), I want to add borates. Got the test kit ordered, but figured I need to wait at least a week after adding the CYA then retest everything before doing that.[/*:m:2tm7juiz]

My TF-100 test kit is ready to go--refreshed with all new reagents--and Pool Calculator app is on hand!

Please let me know what you think about my questions above, and whether you see anything wrong with my plan. Thanks!

Re: New pool is filling... have a few questions about my pla

Before you have added any CYA, you only need 2 ppm of chlorine per day, best added in the evening so you aren't losing it all to sunlight.

There is no hour by hour rush on adding CYA. Wait until the pool is full and the pump running and you have backwashed once (backwashing isn't essential but it won't hurt and might help). Also, when adding CYA it is a good idea to only as perhaps 2/3rds as much as you think you need. It is easy to raise CYA further later, and difficult to lower it. You don't want to risk overshooting on the CYA level.

Re: New pool is filling... have a few questions about my pla

New pool is looking good! We replaced the flexible hoses with new ones and both leaked, so the old ones went back on and they don't leak. Had an issue with the skimmer flap not moving freely. Turns out the installer used the butterfly gasket to join the skimmer to the wide mouth attachment and it bulged inside at the joint. Since the installer never returned our call, hubby just trimmed the bulging part and luckily it didn't cause a leak there. Now the flapper moves freely.

Water was a tad cloudy for a few days but sparkling as of this morning. Now just working on lowering TA a little bit.

While waiting on the pool, we had been pouring concrete for a patio. Now we have 243 square feet of patio with a shower that joins to the deck. Hubby just got back from Lowes with the lumber for building the roof on a 10x10 section of the patio.

It's going to be a great summer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.