Blown heat pump...major oil slick

ETS

In The Industry
Apr 22, 2009
Hello everyone!

My Perfectemp electric heat pump just blew the other day and dumped it's oil into our pool.
I have contacted the manufacturer and they have agreed to replace the unit as it is still under warranty. In the mean time, I have a major mess on my hands. I understand that the oil is like baby oil and is non-toxic. I am wondering if it will damage my pump and filter. I have a d.e. filter. So far, I have placed Zorbies in the pool and treated it with "First Aid" but it seems I'm fighting a losing battle as the heat pump continues to dump oil as long as I have the pump running. I have decided to super shock the pool (5 gallons of liquid chlorine), let it circulate about an hour and then shut the pump down until the unit is replaced. What say you? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

ETS

If they have not repaired your heat pump yet, it's probably from the oil in the compressor and freon. It will continue to leak into your pool until it's fixed. If you can isolate your heat pump from the circulation, that should resolve it until it's fixed.
This usually happens if you have some sort of water chemistry attacking the heat exchanger to corrode the copper freon tubing.
IF this is the case, you will need to keep a closer eye on your water chemistry.
If you have a titanium heat exchanger, it shouldn't corrode from water chemistry, therefore it's possible that it was just a defect in the heat pump weld joints.

This same thing happened to me last year.

This thread has some details.

I did use Pool First Aid and plenty of CL, and that cleared up the oil/freon/whatever pretty nicely. Issue was on the tiles at the water line, but brushing took care of that.

If you have cartridge filter, you'll eventually want to clean that out. If other type of filter, I'm sure someone will comment on best way to handle.

Poolsean said:
If they have not repaired your heat pump yet, it's probably from the oil in the compressor and freon. It will continue to leak into your pool until it's fixed. If you can isolate your heat pump from the circulation, that should resolve it until it's fixed.
This usually happens if you have some sort of water chemistry attacking the heat exchanger to corrode the copper freon tubing.
IF this is the case, you will need to keep a closer eye on your water chemistry.
If you have a titanium heat exchanger, it shouldn't corrode from water chemistry, therefore it's possible that it was just a defect in the heat pump weld joints.

We have a titanium heat exchanger. I read through the manufacturers warranty and it doesn't mention water chemistry so we're ok there. I have disconnected the unit from the rest of the plumbing and replacement is scheduled for sometime next week.

Thanks everyone for you replies and suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.