Good morning! I'm new to the board, and this is my first BBB season. We have the TF100 test kit.
I've read (and re-read) Pool School, and have been following the shock process as instructed but the pool is still consuming huge amounts of FC.
At the end of the season last year I noticed we were having trouble keeping FC in the pool, but as it was close to closing time, we just kept minimal chlorine in until the pool closed. At that time we were still having the pool company close and open the pool. It was also our first winter with the new auto-cover. Opened the pool this spring (3-4 weeks ago) to cloudy water & after a week discovered a lot of white-ish algae behind the light and around the stairs. (Bye-bye pool people - hello BBB!) We spent over 2 weeks scrubbing and following the shock process. Even sent the hubby in very cold water to remove the light (twice!) to scrub behind it. We pretty much had no measurable CYA when we opened the pool & thanks to this board we discovered an ammonia problem last night! I'm starting to feel like we will never get the FC to hold.
Here are the latest test results from 7 am today:
FC 5 (last night @ 8 pm was 19!)
CC (.5 - last night was 1.5)
TA 190 (I know - it's high)
I also know we have to get 10 times the ammonia amount to clear it.
Any thoughts or where to go from here would be greatly appreciated! The recycling guy is going to stop taking all the bleach bottles at the rate we've been burning through them and I am getting frustrated! (I also have 7 or 8 days of shock readings if anyone is interested - maybe I'm not hitting the target?)