Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test results - feedback?

1. Back To Top    #1

Test results - feedback?

So - first time pool owner. Opened a few weeks ago to clear water but a 110 CYA which would be impossible to maintain. Removed all pucks a week or so ago and will be doing BBB.

Replaced about 20" of water this weekend, ad started up the pump this am. After 2 hours of pump time, here are my results

FC - 7
    CC - .5
    CYA 60
    TA - 90
    temp 59

Didn't run CH, had to get to work and was already late.

Water is clear, but a bit dirty from water drain/refill process over the weekend. Will vacuum tonight.

The pool calc says add borax, which I'll do tonight as well. Anything else I should do?

Would ultimately like to install a SWG in ye next 30 days. Should I leave CYA at 60?

TIA,
    Brian
    NJ
    16x32 Vinyl lined IG, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 2 seat jets, 19.5k gal, Hayward 4800 fiber clear filter, 1hp pump, heater and in-line chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test results - feedback?

If you're putting a SWG in then I'd run with your CYA as it is. You'll use some extra chlorine, but the savings don't justify the extra work and cost. I'd try the OCLT with a reading of .5cc as you MAY have something thinking of living in the water. Odds say is nothing and your numbers look good, but a .5 reading always is a red flag to me.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, leave the CYA at 60 for now. If you get a SWG you can raise it, and if not it will come down slowly on it's own (due to backwashing and splash out).

Your numbers look good. With a vinyl pool you just want to check that CH isn't too higher. Low CH is fine. If CC goes up that could be a problem, but you can ignore it at 0.5 or lower.

Leebo, you actually use less chlorine at higher CYA levels. The down side is that high CYA levels make things more difficult if/when you get algae.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Leebo, you actually use less chlorine at higher CYA levels. The down side is that high CYA levels make things more difficult if/when you get algae.
    Whoops....I was thinking of him in a small need of shocking the pool when I misspoke. Jason's correct bdpeter....you'll use less with a higher CYA level. Either way...your numbers look good and you're ready to swim.

5. Back To Top    #5

awesome, thanks guys. It's surprising that now that my CYA is down 40% that I don't notice the chlorine smell as much around the pool.

Going to do the OCLT test the next few days and monitor it.
    NJ
    16x32 Vinyl lined IG, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 2 seat jets, 19.5k gal, Hayward 4800 fiber clear filter, 1hp pump, heater and in-line chlorinator

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You didn't post your pH but assume I it is between 7.2 - 7.8.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The "chlorine smell" is from combined chlorine and is a sign that something is wrong.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    You didn't post your pH but assume I it is between 7.2 - 7.8.
    yes, sorry. It came in around 7.5. I'm still getting used to telling the difference between the shades of red/yellow/purple. I must hold that test kit up to the light about 20 times before I settle on which one it matches!
    NJ

9. Back To Top    #9

tested again tonight, and included CH

FC - 7.5
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 80
    CH - 90
    did not test CYA

is my CH too low?

Will check FC and PH levels again tomorrow to see what i'm losing, if anything overnight.

thanks
    NJ

10. Back To Top    #10

Just make sure CH isn't to high. It doesn't matter really with a vinyl pool if it's low.