Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to install a stenner pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

how to install a stenner pump?

two parts to the question

1) electrical - the pump comes with a regular plug, do I cut the end off and wire it directly into the hayward ecommand 4 breaker box?
    If so, do i put it in parallel with whatever my pump is attached to so it goes on when the pool pump goes on?

2) plumbing - any tips for tapping into the actual pool plumbing? do i use a drill bit to drill the right sized hole?
    how do i seal the whole thing?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: how to install a stenner pump?

Sounds about right for the wiring up. Did you not get a saddle clamp for the injector?

3. Back To Top    #3

[list=1][*] If you want to hook it up direct you can just cut the plug off and wire it directly to the Ecommand.
    1. You can either hook it to the pump relay so it runs whenever the pump is on, or [/*:m:17ifrxwy]
    2. You can use an Aux relay to run it some preset time during the pump is run schedule[/*:m:17ifrxwy]
    [/*:m:17ifrxwy][*]You just drill the pipe with the correct size drill (7/16") and tap the wall of the pipe (1/4" NPT) then use t-tape or paste as a sealant.[/*:m:17ifrxwy][/list:17ifrxwy]
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! which is the best pipe to use? The pool return only or one that feeds the pool and spa returns?

I was thinking the pipe feeding both the pool and spa would be better because I was planning to wire the stenner to the pump relay so anytime the pump was running, the stenner would run. However if I tapped into the pool returns only, when I am in spa mode the pool returns are shut off so I would get chlorine accumulation. But if I do both, the chlorinated water would be running through the spa only, is that ok?

As you mentioned I could wire into the last aux relay and tie that relay via programming to the pump. Im not sure what the benefit of using the aux vs using the pump relay are ( except maybe two pumps in parallel are not good for one relay circuit?)
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

5. Back To Top    #5

I would tap into the common line feeding both pool and spa. You'll overchlorinate the spa a little when it running single body mode but not enough to be concerned unless you run it that way an extremely long time. Besides, a little extra chlorination is needed due to the person per volume ratio of the spa.

Hooking both main and injection pump to the same relay isn't a concern at all. I suggested the Aux relay because then you could choose to run the injection pump a different amount of time than the main pump (i.e. not have it run when in spa mode or have it run less time then).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I would tap into the common line feeding both pool and spa. You'll overchlorinate the spa a little when it running single body mode but not enough to be concerned unless you run it that way an extremely long time. Besides, a little extra chlorination is needed due to the person per volume ratio of the spa.

Hooking both main and injection pump to the same relay isn't a concern at all. I suggested the Aux relay because then you could choose to run the injection pump a different amount of time than the main pump (i.e. not have it run when in spa mode or have it run less time then).
    I will most likely run the stenner on aux and use programming to have it work with the filter pump. Their recommendation is to not cut the plug off, instead wire an GFI outlet to the relay and plug the pump into the outlet. This could be useful as apparently in the winter you dont want to leave it outside in a freeze.

I have a GFI outlet attached to the ecommand box, but it isnt switched.

any thoughts about plugging into a GFI outlet vs direct wire to the relay?

7. Back To Top    #7

A GFI outlet makes things safer and more convent, but it is a bit more work/cost/space to install. It sounds like a good idea to me, but you can get away without it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    A GFI outlet makes things safer and more convent, but it is a bit more work/cost/space to install. It sounds like a good idea to me, but you can get away without it.
    Thanks! Im not going to do anything until this weekend as I want to be able to complete the project and have time to spare in case something goes wrong. The thing I worry about the GFI is that it is an exposed outdoor socket with the cap lifted so rain will eventually get in. I want a quick disconnect so I can easily remove the pump so I was thinking about direct wiring but then putting a waterproof disconnect in the wire.

9. Back To Top    #9

ok, so I have the stenner plumbed and I tested it. I was able to raise FC by 1.5 ppm over an hour at 10 gallons/day which is just right. Im very excited about this

There is always a catch though, it turns out there are only 4 relays. Pump low speed is on 1, lights on 2, polaris booster on 3 and pump high speed on 4. So I have no relays left. I was thinking about wiring it into the filter relay and just have it run at the same time as the low speed setting of the pump. The only problem is the wiring is complex because it is 240V.

On page 7 they show some wiring diagrams
    http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Manual290.pdf

I was thinking about just buying an inexpensive outdoor timer, plugging that into outdoor power and then plugging the stenner into the timer. are there any downsides to this?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by march2012
    I was thinking about just buying an inexpensive outdoor timer, plugging that into outdoor power and then plugging the stenner into the timer. are there any downsides to this?
    That is what I've done. You can get a240v timer on amazon for less then $50. With separate timers you need to double check your settings, you don't want to accidentally run your chlorine pump without the main pump running.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by texasdad
    Quote Originally Posted by march2012
    That is what I've done. You can get a240v timer on amazon for less then $50. With separate timers you need to double check your settings, you don't want to accidentally run your chlorine pump without the main pump running.
    Im running the filter pump for 8 hours during the day, Ill setup the stenner to just run at max output for around 1 or 2 hours (1.5-3ppm) in the middle of it.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just wanted to close the loop on this. I have the stenner set to 10 and my cheapo $20 timer from home depot running for 1 hour. For the last 3 days my FC has held steady at 5 without any bleach from me. I love the stenner pump

I showed it to my neighbor and now they are interested. They got rid of their salt cell because they had to add acid almost daily. (probably because their TA was too high) and are already on bleach.

Thanks for all the advice!

13. Back To Top    #13

Glad it worked out well for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

So I know this is a slightly old post, but figured it was ok since the question is install related.

My Pool Builder is dragging his feet on the install of this pump, simply because he does not understand WHY I want to do this, vs. the inline puck thing....so the stenner install is going to have to happen AFTER all the pumps are hooked up, etc. and have water in them.

So my concern is can I still get a good seal when I drill the hole in the return line with "Water" squirting out everywhere ? I tried searching for related posts, but could not find any.

Thanks in advance!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

15. Back To Top    #15

I assume you're going to drill and tap the hole for the injection fitting. If so, then yes you'll be able to get a good seal. Since you have an inground pool with a sand filter, set the multiport to closed and there won't be much if any water come out the pipe when you drill into it. It will drain toward the pool and actually suck in air a bit to start with. Unless your equipment is below water level. Then you need to seal the return line off somehow.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I assume you're going to drill and tap the hole for the injection fitting. If so, then yes you'll be able to get a good seal. Since you have an inground pool with a sand filter, set the multiport to closed and there won't be much if any water come out the pipe when you drill into it. It will drain toward the pool and actually suck in air a bit to start with. Unless your equipment is below water level. Then you need to seal the return line off somehow.
    Thanks for the reply...

Yes, as I thought drilling and tapping was my only option. Is there a "better way" ?

Yep my equip will be above water level, so thanks for that tip as well !
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

17. Back To Top    #17

If your builder has not finished the pad plumbing. Have them put a T fitting in the return line. Use a slip/female thread/slip. Put a plug in female thread. When you install the Stenner the injection point is threaded. You may need an adapter to get the size correct. No drilling or tapping with this method.
    22k gal, gunite, Pebblesheen, fountain/waterfall, no spa, Quad 100DE, Easytouch4, Pentair VS3050, Polaris 280, TFP-100 kit, Stenner pump

18. Back To Top    #18

Other that Luna's suggestion of putting in a reducing Tee and a threaded adapter, drilling and tapping is the best method.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by luna31d
    If your builder has not finished the pad plumbing. Have them put a T fitting in the return line. Use a slip/female thread/slip. Put a plug in female thread. When you install the Stenner the injection point is threaded. You may need an adapter to get the size correct. No drilling or tapping with this method.
    Ok, I like the sound of this, but I am not sure what exactly I need to buy.

1) Assume T is something like this, just the correct size of course [attachment=0:2wsaodnw]THREADED T.jpg[/attachment:2wsaodnw]
    I see I can get a threaded T, so if I could this would eliminate the adapter etc.

2) This is the PLUG that would be temp till I got the Stenner Injector[attachment=1:2wsaodnw]PLUG T.jpg[/attachment:2wsaodnw]

Is this what you were thinking ?

So ONLY follow up (assuming I got the above correct) is does anyone know the size of the Stenner Injection Point
    This is all I could find on their site and nothing jumps out at me.

Accessories shipped with each pump
    3 connecting nuts 1/4" or 3/8"
    3 ferrules 1/4" & 6 mm OR 2 ferrules 3/8"
    1 injection check valve
    1 weighted strainer
    1 20' roll of suction/discharge tubing 1/4" or 3/8" white or UV black
    OR 6 mm (Europe) white
    1 additional pump tube, 2 additional latches
    1 mounting bracket, 1 manual
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Back To Top    #20

Ahhhhhh I found this....

[attachment=1:3lt7uyo2]Stenner Injection Check Valve.jpg[/attachment:3lt7uyo2]

So if I got this correct, this is for the 1/4 tubing and does that mean the threads are 1/4" as well you think ?

Also found this in the manual?

A 1/4" or 1/2" Female NPT (FNPT) connection is required for installing the injection
    fitting. If there is no FNPT fitting available, provide one by either tapping the pipe or
    installing FNPT pipe tee fitting.

What does it say 1/4" or 1/2" - here is the picture.

[attachment=0:3lt7uyo2]Stenner Injection Check Valve Picture.jpg[/attachment:3lt7uyo2]

Sorry if I am dense, just trying to get this right with my builder the first time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast