Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Pump Advice....Maybe Too Late.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Pump Advice....Maybe Too Late.

My Jacuzzi Cygnet 3/4 motor went again for the 2nd time in 4 years right after I spent my last stack on a new liner this year. Needless to say, its not a good time to for me buy a new pump. Also need to consider I may want to get a full upgrade on a fitration system in a few years as my Jacuzzi 250L is getting old as well. I recently had the opportunity to quickly purchase a barely used Hayward super pump at $100 on CL....in my haste, it didn't notice it was a 1HP variety when I got it home. Unfortunately, I can't check the filter manual to see if the flo rate is ok...ect. What are the risks for installing the 1hp vs the 3/4 hp pump? I did notice my kreepy krawly suction side cleader never really had the umph i thought it should in the old 3/4 hp days (for both the older and the 2008 replaced one as well).
    I was thinking of putting this pump back on CL and going with the Pentair superflo and be done with it...
    Thoughts??
    Ben T
    2001 Fort Wayne In Ground 18x36 Rectangle - 22,300 Gallons - Vinyl Liner -Raypak RP2100 400K BTU Gas Heater - Jacuzzi 3/4 HP Sygnet Pump - 225L Sand Filter - Aqua Rite 40K Gallon SWG (Installed June 2009).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Pump Advice....Maybe Too Late.

You'll probably be OK with the 1 HP Superpump, although it is a little large to replace a 3/4 HP. That should only hit you in the wallet with electricity costs.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

That 250L filter should be fine with that 1 hp Superpump. I'd hook it up and not worry about it. You'll probably notice your KK working better also.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you think we're talking big bucks to power 1 hp vs. 3/5 hp?
    Ben T
    2001 Fort Wayne In Ground 18x36 Rectangle - 22,300 Gallons - Vinyl Liner -Raypak RP2100 400K BTU Gas Heater - Jacuzzi 3/4 HP Sygnet Pump - 225L Sand Filter - Aqua Rite 40K Gallon SWG (Installed June 2009).

5. Back To Top    #5

You can adjust the run time down to offset the cost. But the difference won't be much anyway.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I have a 1hp Jacuzzi Magnum Force on my 250L...it will be fine, but get rid of that 250L ASAP. Hard as **** to get parts for. I am just waiting for mine to die.
    Science and Math Teacher
    Owner - SPS - part time pool biz
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 23000 Gallons with Jacuzzi (the bane of my existance) pumpworks
    Polaris 280 w/ PB4 booster