Need discontinued pump housing for Waterway workhorse

Jun 1, 2011
Trenton, TX
Our pump refused to come on, all rusted out, figured the cheapest way was to just order a replacement motor - WRONG !!!

We have a 5 year old pool from Rec Warehouse, which naturally closed and is out of business everywhere, apparently. We have a
1.5 hp BN50 by AO Smith (LASER Centurion) attached to a Waterway Workhorse pump with 2" lines. We ordered a new motor, exactly the same, pool guy came to switch it out. Firsst, it totally broke off the mount due to rust. Okay, it was coming off anyway. New motor didn't come with a cord or a switch, it's a 2-speed, guy used the ones off the old pump. Powered up, worked fine. Then, when he took the motor apart, the thru-bolts were so rusted and decayed they broke off inside the plastic pump housing. It's a cheap plastic part, but Waterway doesn't make this pump anymore. Leslie's ordered us a part, doesn't fit and doesn't look like they can find it. Called Waterway, he said we'd have to buy the whole wet end and the "Executive" series was compatible. I looked up the part number he gave me, it was 230v, ours is 115v. I'm wary of ordering because after all I now know about pumps, it just doesn't look like it's compatible. It said it was for a 56 Frame, and ours says 48 Frame. Headache after headache. Websites say parts for a Waterway "Mustang/Workhorse" but that's what we got and it doesn't fit.

So . . . I'm wondering if I can find someone who might have the same setup, maybe replaced, and the old pump housing is still okay and removable. Or, anyone know of anywhere that might carry this part? Last resort is returning the new motor, waiting for a refund, and then just starting over with a new pump with the filter basket attached - which is retrospect, is what we should have done! One of our issues is we live out in the country between Dallas and Sherman and no one would come look at it for less than $150.00 and a 2 week waiting list. Which, again, might have been best! So much for trying to save money.

Any ideas? We did add bleach and water is clear, just little crud on the bottom because we can't filter it out.

Thanks!

I found one on Amazon that specifically states that it's for a 48 fr motor. It's part number 310-1880. If you look up that number there are several places that have them.

I found photos with measurements at HotTubWarehouse.com. You can check your motor against them to make sure it'll fit before ordering. NOTE: I'm not advocating that you order from them, they just have the measurements of the wet end.

Thanks, at least that one kind of reads like it will fit. Hard to believe the Waterway person gave me the wrong part number, but that just figures. Any idea about the quality of the Hayward Matrix 1.5 2-speed pump that Leslie's carries? If we end up just getting a new one, at least there's a Leslie's within 50 miles. They're $319 as Leslie's, lots cheaper online, but I'm scared that if I order it, there'll be some problem, and we just need to get something working so we can circulate the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.